prologue.

CRUEL SUMMER!
prologue.

( can what you're thinking bring happiness, or will it bring misery? )

     Summer's a knife. I've always considered the sharp heat that comes along with it to be a nuisance, but for some reason it always seems to scald deeper during the first few agonizing days of summer break.

Even in the alleged coolness of Sarah's patio, that of which she had promised me. The ice inside the glasses of lemonade her housekeeper had brought out only minutes before had already entirely melted, giving the lemonade an unsatisfying watered-down taste.

Sarah let out a sigh of content, evidently not sharing my discomfort. She leaned back, slouching with ease against her rocking chair, sunglasses shielding her eyes as she seemed to bask in the heat. She turned to me then, took in my figure slumped uncomfortably against my chair, and she chuckled.

"You look like you're melting."

It felt like I was. I would've preferred not to be outside, especially when I could hear the air conditioning blasting a mere few feet away.

The garden gate opened, and I turned towards it, watching silently as two others walked onto the outdoor area, past the pool.

That wasn't the first time I'd seen him, but it was the first caliber of interaction we ever shared.

He stood a couple steps behind his friend, trying to be subtle about the way he was eyeing the enormity of the Cameron property. I tried not to smirk in amusement as he visibly attempted to bite back how annoyed, or perhaps envious, he was of it all.

I knew John B worked for Ward doing maintenance on his boat. I'd seen him around the property every now and then during instances like this, but I'd never seen him bring a friend before. It didn't sound like an idea Ward would've been too keen on.

He was still trailing behind John B, looking around until his gaze landed on me. The look of frozen startle I saw on his face instantly put a smile on mine. I waved cordially, and though he hesitated at first, he ultimately raised his hand and gave a reluctant wave in return.

I chuckled silently to myself as he walked away. He gave me one last glance over his shoulder before disappearing into the pier.

"Do you know him?" Sarah asked, pushing her sunglasses to the top of her head as she turned to look at me questioningly.

I ignored her gaze as I shook ny head.

"No."

But I have a feeling I'm about to.

And I was right. I encountered him again two days later.

I admit, it did throw me off a little to open my front door and see him standing there, but what was weirder was that it seemed to have surprised him exponentially more. His eyes widened and his face paled.

It only took me a second to notice the grocery bags in his hold.

Ah. First you were helping with maintenance and now you're helping with deliveries?

"You seem to be working a lot lately," I said evenly, taking the bags from him with one hand and using the other to pull money out from my pocket.

He chuckled flatly, nodding and shrugging awkwardly. "A Pogue's gotta eat, right?"

I handed him the cash and he never once met my gaze.