chapter eight.

CRUEL SUMMER!
chapter eight.

( hell is other people. )

The party has only just started, and already, it's dreadful.

For my father, it had been like riding a bike. The moment he walked in, he was right at home. Fraternizing about, gloating to everyone without a single care in the world. It's obvious that this is what he lives for, pathetically.

There's a handful of people inside the Clubhouse, but the real event takes place outdoors, where the stuffy summer afternoon can be enjoyed to the fullest. I stay by the deck in the entrance, surreptitiously leaning back against a pillar as I watch the evening unfold, unamused. I'm sure it's going to be a long one. And an entire waste of time, for that matter.

There's certainly better things I could be doing right now, especially regarding the gold.

Denmark Tanny didn't just use it to purchase Tannyhill plantation. He also bought his freedom, and tried to buy the freedom of many other slaves. He ended up being lynched, because American history is nothing if not cruel and disgusting, and heroes rarely get a happy ending— But, there has to be something he left behind. He had a family, so surely he must've left some sort of code, or clue detailing where the gold is hidden.

If this is where he lived and bought his land - it would make sense for the gold to be hidden somewhere in Tannyhill.

But it's only a theory. I don't know anything for certain, and even if I did, there's nothing I can do about it at the moment.

"Hey."

Kiara walks towards me. She wears a long, lilac dress and a crown of large, purple flowers in her pinned up hair. She's aiming to match the essence of the festivities, I suppose. I greet her with a nod as she settles beside me.

I know what she wants to ask. What she's going to ask. It's the one matter which has been mercilessly occupying my mind, weighing down on me and making my chest twist uncomfortably ever since yesterday. Either way, I try not to let my inclination show.

"Have you heard from JJ?"

I don't look at her, instead staring aimlessly at the decorative string of yellow lights hung on the patio.

No. I haven't heard from JJ since his arrest. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't initially feel a twinge of responsibility. Perhaps I got in his head the night before. His words certainly added insult to injury.

"You were right."

It was easy to feel a load of weight on my shoulders. But I know him. He's remarkably easy to read, after all. And he's too caring for his own good. It's why he told Pope to sink the boat in the first place. He couldn't handle the fact that Rafe and Topper assaulted his friend, and regardless of how poor his approach might've been, it was his idea of showing Pope how to defend himself no less. To put it simply, JJ is good. He would've ended up taking the fall in defense of his friend no matter what.

"No," I answer, finally looking up to meet her gaze.

She frowns a little, but she nods nonetheless. "Don't worry too much about him. He's got the survival instincts of a cockroach, so, he'll be okay. He always is."

Immediately, I want to negate what she's insinuating. I want to tell her that I'm not worried about him at all. But the words don't come out. So I only nod, and she returns the gesture, somewhat awkwardly, before walking away.

The bleak party scene quickly unravels after that. Music starts playing, people start mingling, while others start working.

I catch a glimpse of Pope and his father setting up their stand. Kiara is standing with him, sneaking glances at me every now and then.