19. Jessie

The entire day after Princeton dropped both Jericho and me at school, all I could do was think about what Kayden's punishment was going to be after confessing to being behind the attack on both the pack and Princeton. What could have possibly gone through his head to do such a thing in the first place? What motive did he have to think about planning an attack on Princeton and the pack? Was it because we're mates? Could that be it? I mean he did tell me that he was in love with me but I could never return those feelings. I've been honest with him since Princeton and I began spending time together.

Ugh, this is so frustrating.

"What's got you frowning like that?" I looked up at the sound of Andrea to see her and the others looking at me with raised brows. Max wasn't at school today since he wanted to be with his parents when Kayden's punishment was read. I wanted to be present as well but Princeton said that it'd be best if I wasn't there as Kayden could attack again.

"Kayden," I replied and they sighed.

"As much as I wish that we could do something, Kayden made his bed and he needs to lie in it now," Gavin said making me swallow the lump in my throat, "I know it's hard to hear this but, Kayden made his choice when he decided to work with rogues on attacking the pack and the beta."

I bit my cheek and nodded. He was right. Kayden made a bad choice and now has to deal with the consequences.

"I worry for Max and his family," I said and they nodded with sad looks on their faces that I knew matched my own.

"We all do, Jessie," Bella murmured from beside me at the lunch table.

******

"So did Kayden say anything?" I asked Princeton as we sat in the yard after he had picked Jericho and me up from school an hour ago.

"Yeah." He sighed running his fingers through his hair before looking back over at me, "He said his wolf wanted to mate with you as he saw you as his mate. He said that a witch was controlling him and that's why he acted the way he did these past several weeks."

I furrowed my brows. "Witches? They're real?"

He chuckled and nodded, "As real as every supernatural being, love," he replied making my face heat up with a blush at the pet name.

"You said a witch was behind Kayden's behavior towards you?" I asked and he nodded. "What does that mean?"

"Exactly what it means, Jess. Somehow he must have run into one during his runs and they put a spell on him and made him act that way," he answered,

"But what about his confessions? He said he loved me and that I shouldn't be with you but with him instead," I said and he growled at my words but I knew he wasn't angry at me, but rather he was angry at Kayden or better yet at the witch controlling him.

"He does love you, but the witch somehow made him believe he was in love with you," He stated, voice rougher than before meaning he was fighting his wolf for control.

"But what's going to happen to him now then?" I quizzed taking his hand in mine and giving it a soft squeeze to calm him down.

"Alaska will be sending him to Arizona until we figure out who this witch is and how to get rid of them."

"Them? Aren't witches females?" I was confused as he kept using they and them instead of she or her. I always figured witches were women so it was confusing to not hear him say that.

"No," he replied confusing me even more, "witches can be male or female, love."

"Oh," I murmured and he nodded, "that's why you keep saying them or they?"