36. Princeton

I walked into the kitchen and saw my parents looking at Jessie with frowns etched onto their faces. Papa tilted his head while Mama turned Jessie's head one way and the other making me frown. I could feel Gunnolf's restlessness at our mate's discomfort.

"Is something wrong?" I asked making the three turn towards me.

"It's Jessie's scent," Mama said making me swallow the lump in my throat, did the bite not work? I mean it was supposed to take a good few days for it to work and I had just given Jessie the Beta's bite last night.

"What about it?" I asked and Mama sighed shaking his head as he turned to Jessie.

"There's a new scent mingled with his scent," He replied and I furrowed my brows as I walked further in and sat on one of the stools noticing the kids were outside with Bo and Grandpa who was holding Preston.

"What do you mean?" Jessie asked, "Because you've been examining me since I walked in here twenty minutes ago."

"Phoenix and Rexx had been acting up," Papa said as he leaned against the counter, while Mama began making us each a cup of tea and coffee.

"You said that but why? It's not like they don't know me," Jessie replied.

"That's the thing, Jess," Mama said setting a cup in front of us, "Phoenix was about to rip your throat out when he scented an unfamiliar scent but still contained himself as he could also scent both Princeton and the children's scents within it, which confused him."

Jesse and I exchanged looks before my parents sighed.

"When I first got a whiff of the scent I didn't recognize it either and Rexx was pacing in my head though he knew it wasn't threatening, and sure enough he was right because you walked into the kitchen a second later, the unfamiliar scent coming with you."

"It confused us," Mama said, "The entire pack is on high alert because of it, they are not used to having a scene that doesn't belong here."

"What does it smell like then? You said it has my scent along with the kids?" I asked and he nodded.

"Wolf," Papa said making our eyes widen at his words, "His scent smells like that of a wolf."

"What?" Jessie exclaimed and my parents nodded, "Could it be because I'm around the pack?"

"No, we all know the pack's scents and yours—before you got that new mark—so we know when your scents mingled and when they don't. This scent is not part of the pack." Jessie instantly lifted his hand towards the mark on his neck. It looked like any other mate mark but to anyone else, it would look different. "That mark is the Beta's Mark."

We looked at them and Mama smiled, "Only an alpha or beta can turn their mates, Princeton, when the need arises." I blinked and that's when I noticed that my parents had been right about Jessie's scent being different yet the same if that made any sense.

"Do you know how long it would take for the change to happen?" Jessie asked as he gripped my hand and he shook his head.

"I can always read more to see what to can find but from what it was about the first alpha changing his mate, it had taken a week for the change to happen."

I felt Jessie tense beside me at Mama's words, "And when the change happens, will it be dangerous for me to be around the kids?" Mama face him with a sad smile before nodding and Jessie swallowed as he looked towards the sliding door and saw the kids—minus Preston—giggling and running around the yard with Bo chasing them while Grandpa sat on a picnic blanket with Preston. I could feel his pain and I pulled him against my side "How-" he cleared his throat before turning back to my parents, "how do I tell them what I am? They'll think I'm still human but what if I turn and they get scared?"