Chapter 2

A/n
Thank you guys for 20+ reads! Also, a special thanks to anime_lover70000 for voting and Chinamizz for voting and commenting! Here's the first update since the release; I hope you enjoy :)

"Shinohara, Amon, and (L/n) coming in." Shinohara announces as we step through the door to the conference room. Not only am I the only junior investigator here since Suzuya has yet to arrive, but there's hardly any other women here. We quickly walk up to a man by the name of Kuroiwa. I glance at Amon, finding him looking unnerved by the presence of so many high ranked investigators. This seems like such an important mission, I can't understand why they want me and Suzuya. Surely they could find better investigators for this than a pair of inexperienced junior investigators like us.

"Everyone have a seat." Marude orders from the front of the room. Amon and Shinohara claim their seats and I soon realize there is none left for me. As inconspicuously as possible, I make my way to the edge of the room and stand against the wall. Marude clears his throat with a cough. "As you may have already heard, the 11th ward Branch was attacked. Despite the enemy only occupying it temporarily before leaving, police reports from the scene have told us that the number of survivors... is zero." He says gravely. "The group's name is 'The Tree of Aogiri.' They have over two hundred members that we know about. There has never been an incidence of this many ghouls banding together before."

"What could their objective be?" Shinohara asks, his arms crossed against his chest.

"How would I know that? Who knows what goes through their minds." Marude answers, looking annoyed as he scratches the back of his head. I look at the clock out of the corner of my eye. The meeting started over ten minutes ago! Suzuya is coming, right? "However, the 11th ward has been taken from us. That much is certain. Once this fact gets around, it is expected most of the ghouls who have been acting on their own will now join up with The Tree of Aogiri. This will be a war between humans and ghouls. That's why you must turn over your lives to me! That is an absolute order, by the way! You have no right to refuse!" He orders. Fear pierces through my body. There's no way I'm good enough to be here, let along survive this. Sorry mom, but I'll never get to use it... "From here on, the 11th ward special task force-" Marude's words die out as the door slams open.

"Excuse me!" A familiar voice says. Suzuya! Looking over, I notice the stitched boy standing in the doorway, his arms held straight out in front of him before he pulls them back to his body. "I'm Shinohara's underling, Juuzou Suzuya!" He says with a sloppy salute. "I got lost on my way here. I'm really sorry about that." He apologizes with a smile. Marude trembles in the center of the room, bewildered at the sight.

"Ah, geez..." Shinohara mumbles.

"It's nice to meet you all." Suzuya says with a charming smile before stepping beside me and leaning against the wall. A moment later, after Marude (having returned to his seat at the front) resumes his speech, Suzuya adopts a bored expression as he fiddles with the stitches looping around his right arm and humming a nonsensical melody.

"They are clearly starting to show signs of an organized movement. That is all we know about The Tree of Aogiri. I'd like to charge after them right now, but for the time being, we have to be patient. We engage them in one week. Until then, citizens of the 11th ward are under a mandatory evacuation. Utilize the police. I will deal with the media. That is all. Dismissed!" Marude announces.

"Yes sir!" The senior investigators answer before filing out of the room. I let out a sigh of relief. Thank goodness that's over. Marude pauses and looks back towards me and my companion who is gazing off into nothingness.

"So you're Suzuya, huh? You're an awfully slender fellow, aren't you?" Marude prods. I notice Shinohara moving swiftly towards us, looking slightly panicked. "Are you sure you're eating right? Do you even have anything in your coin purse?"

"Now, now, Maru, Suzuya just got here and I'm sure he's tired. Cut him some slack, okay?" Shinohara says, grabbing the shorter man by the shoulders and directing him away from us.

"What gives? I was just making small talk." Marude asks with a scowl.

"Okay, okay. Maybe tomorrow, all right?" Shinohara says, his voice barely reaching the room as the two voices fade in the distance. Suzuya's lips quirk up slightly, his eyes clouded with shadows as he stares after them.

"I know I don't have anything to do with it, but I'm sorry about that. I should've said something before Shinohara had to intervene." I say, attempting to start a conversation.

"Mm, it's fine. I'll see ya later (L/n)." He says before taking his leave. So much for talking with him. I leave the room after him to find the hallway already deserted. I sigh, noticing that stars had already started dotting the now purple-blue sky. I didn't realize that it was so late, I should be heading home. I follow the halls to the entrance of the building, no seeing a single coworker along the way. I slip out of the sleek looking office building and start towards home. I approach a bridge on my way to the subway station I need to board, noticing a figure staring up at the sky, leaning back on the railing and kicking their legs before they suddenly fall backwards, catching themselves on the railing with their knees.

"Wha- Hey, are you alright?" I ask as I run over to them. The person pulls themself up and plops down on their feet in front of me.

"Hahaha yep, just fine!" He giggles.

"Suzuya!? What're you doing?" I ask in shock.

"Hmm, a little of this, a little of that... you should try it too, (L/n)!" He suggests, pulling me closer to him as he slides back up on the railing.

"I don't know... I'd probably slip and end up dead." I say.

"It's okay, I'll make sure you don't fall." He says cheerily.

"Well, maybe..." I murmur. After a few seconds, I hop up beside him. Ah, screw it. I'll have to learn to trust him at some point if we're going to be partners.

"Yay! Just make sure to keep your knees bent and nothing will happen." Suzuya instructs. I lean back slightly, holding the railing and bending my knees. Suzuya grabs my hand and leans back pulling me with him, though my legs keep my from falling. I am so glad I didn't wear a skirt today!

"Eek!" I let out a small scream in surprise, my body tensing. Suzuya laughs beside me, his hair blowing in the wind. He actually looks... really attractive like this. I should definitely not be thinking that right now, I could die at any moment. We are still holding hands though, so I guess if I fell I'd either take him with me or he'd somehow pull me up. Or maybe he'd just let me fall. He said he wouldn't though...

"Isn't this nice, (L/n)?" He asks with a smile, gazing up at the stars.

"Not how I would describe it, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be." I say. Though I don't think I could do it if you weren't here with me. "I think the blood's rushing to my head, I should probably sit up." I say, loosening my hold on his hand before pulling myself up and pushing off the railing to the solid ground of the bridge. Suzuya joins me shortly after.

"Don't tell Shinoharaaa." He sings with a cheeky smile, holding a finger to his lips.

"I won't tell a soul." I say, returning his grin.