Chapter 16

A/n
Thank you for 35+ votes and 785+ reads! Only two more chapters... Also, I don't do well with writing serious scenes, or at least I feel that way, so sorry for the cringe you will eventually experience in this chapter from a certain scene that I almost referent putting in here. I rewrote it quite a few times but then I gave up and it is what it is. Here's the chapter :)

We sit on the steps in the back of  the monitor room. Furuta stands in the middle, staring at all the screens and giving orders to those out fighting.

"Suzuya." Ui says, approaching where we're sitting. "Take care of HQ." He says, walking past us.

"Have fun." Juuzou says despite the frown on his face while he holds my hand.

"How are things going?" Furuta asks. Replies from familiar people come in immediately.

"This is Ito from the 9th Ward! The citizens are panicking and the entire area is in utter chaos." He reports, the screams of people behind him followed by a boom.

"This is Tanakamaru from the 18th Ward. We've nearly regained control of the area." He says. "Let's go back up HQ, boys."

"This is Urie from the 2nd Ward. They used fire, so we're a bit behind on taking care of the issue." Urie says.

"This is Ui from the 19th Ward. We're about to begin our attack." Ui notifies.

"Th-That's..." a voice stutters.

"Multiple enemies confirmed on the bridge." Another voice reports. Furuta immediately pulls up the window displaying footage from that area. "How are there so many?" The screen shows rows of masked individuals walking in uniformed lines, all of them in identical clown outfits. With that, me, Juuzou, the Suzuya squad, and a few more Investigators head down to face off against the enemy.

"Investigator Suzuya." Furuta says. "If they get past the bridge, they'll make it to headquarters. Make sure you defend it with your life." Furuta orders.

"With my life?" Juuzou mutters before taking off towards the endless rows clowns, easily picking off the front row with a powerful slice of his scythe. "All I have to do is kill them all."

"Yes, exactly." Furuta agrees. "Pwease kill them all." He says in an innocent voice. I scrunch my nose. How did he even end up in such a high position? Investigators and clowns are scattered around the bridge, the investigators obviously outnumbered. The members of Suzuya squad stand in a circle, our backs facing each other.

"Their numbers are great, but..." Tamaki trails off.

"Their individual strength is lacking..." Abara finishes.

"This doesn't feel right." Juuzou adds.

"Juuzou, do you think..? I ask, leaning towards him slightly.

"You see it too?" Nakarai says, glancing towards us.

"Yeah." Juuzou answers before jumping towards the nearest clown, slicing their mask off. The clown sinks to their knees. "So, you're humans..." The mask, having fallen away revealed the face of  desperate, teary-eyed man, his mouth stitched closed. My stomach sinks. We've been killing people... Innocent civilians that should have nothing to do with this war between us and the ghouls. The man struggles, grunting and making strangled noises, trying to communicate in any way he can. Instead he is impaled from behind by the kagune of a ghoul in a large black jacket. No Face, an S rate ghoul.

"Well, hello, Stringless Puppet." He greets. "Let's play."

"Sure. I'll even draw you a face." Juuzou says. The ghoul makes the first move, almost instantaneously appearing behind Juuzou, though he's prepared and twirls one of his knives, stabbing it into the ghoul's throat. The ghoul backs up with a slight gurgling sound and Juuzou whips around, slicing the ghoul several times before sliding back across the pavement.