Chapter 12

A/n
Hello, and thank you for 375+ reads and 10+ votes! Also, a special thanks to Kittyblue79 for voting! A quick note, I'm not sure what Mutsuki's pronouns are or if/when they exactly change if they do, so I'll be using they/them pronouns for them. Here's today's chapter :)

A little while ago we had been assigned a case involving a ghoul called 'The Nutcracker,' a female ghoul notorious for crushing the testicles of her male victims. We had managed to track her down in a certain area, though the CCG's new addition, the Quinx Squad, had also just been assigned to join us. If course, this means another meeting. The Quinx Squad is a group of four, five including Haise Sasaki, artificially-made half ghouls under the watch of Akira and Sasaki.

I sit in a meeting room next to Sasaki, an empty seat next to me. He never fails to be late. I smile while looking at the chair, the seat past it occupied by one of my subordinates, Hanbee Abara, a Rank 1, or Second Class, Investigator. Past him sits Mizurou Tamaki and Miyuki Mikage, also Rank 1's, among with First Class Investigator Keijin Nakurai. Two other members of the Quinx squad, Kuki Urie and Tooru Mutsuki also in attendance. We all sit in silence, skimming our reports as we patiently wait for the three missing people to show up.

"There are a few people still missing, but let us begin." Hanbee finally says.

"I'm late!" A voice says as a familiar figure walks through the door wearing a smile. Those of us on the Suzuya Squad stand up to greet our leader with a bow.

"Good morning, Assistant Special Investigator Juuzou Suzuya!" We all say in unison. I know he couldn't care less about this sort of greeting, but it's fun to tease him about.

"Oh, hey!" He replies, giving us a salute.

"Hey, Juuzou." Sasaki stands up to greet him with a small wave.

"Haise!" Juuzou cheers, running over to the taller man, patting him down for snacks, finding multiple in the many pockets of Sasaki's jacket.

"You're the best, Haise! Well, not as much as (Y/n), but you're definitely second!" Juuzou says with a big grin, cradling his food to his chest. Hanbee nods in agreement while Sasaki smiles smugly.

"I'm so sorry we're late!" Another voice calls, catching our attention. In the doorway is a sharp toothed, blond man with a small purple haired girl riding on his back. That would make all of us. Those would be Investigators Saiko Yonebayashi and Ginshi Shirazu, no doubt late due to Yonebayshi's sleep schedule.

"Shirazu, and... Saiko." Mutsuki addresses them in surprise, standing up from their spot while Urie continues to ignore them.

"I'm so sorry, Sassan! I'm so late!" Shirazu exclaims.

"No, it's okay... More importantly, thank you for bringing Saiko." Sasaki says with a smile. Urie scoffs, looking away. This guy really needs an attitude change. Once we finally get everyone to their seats, Hanbee starts talking again.

"Please take a look at the documents before you." He says. "That's the list of ingredients that we found at Nutcracker's house."

"Ingredients, huh?" Sasaki hums. Juuzou catches my eye, sliding a piece of (favorite candy) over to me, sticking out his tongue mischievously, his table space already covered in wrappers. I give him a smile, popping the candy into my mouth and tucking the wrapper into my pocket.

"We believe that Nutcracker is kidnapping people and collecting them for the auction." Hanbee says.

"Auction?" Mutuski questions.

"They auction off humans they've abducted." Sasaki answers.

"'They' being ghouls, of course. Humans are auctioned off to be eaten like some type of gourmet food or made into slaves." I say, frowning despite the sweet treat in my mouth.