Chapter 5

A/n
Thank you for 85+ reads! I tested negative for Covid and I just had my second quarter finals but I'm pretty sure I didn't fail. Here's today's chapter, sorry it's posted a little later than normal :)

"Oh, it's so big!" Juuzou exclaims, pressing his face and hands onto the glass, peering through to the room below.

"This is the CCG lab. The lab handles all quinque, Q-bullet development, and all other research concerning ghouls." Shinohara says while Juuzou marvels at the workers, clad in white as they carry out their duties. I take a step closer to the window, rubbing my tired eyes before looking through and observing the space.

"It's very organized. Though, that's to be expected of a facility like this." I say. Despite the constant nightmares and lack of sleep, I still manage to show up to work.

"Investigator Shinohara!" A voice calls.

"Dr.Chigyou." Shinohara greets a man with a bowl cut.

"Hey there." He says with a little wave. Then he escorts us to what we came for. After Juuzou had found Jason, he had brought the body back for a quinque. Shinohara had been notified that it was done, hence our trip here. "So you're The Investigator Suzuya I've been hearing about. The one who took down Jason, right?" Dr.Chigyou questions, leading us down a hallway. "That's really impressive. And you, Investigator (L/n), you were there too, weren't you? It must have been a hard battle."

"Er, well..." I mumble, not sure what to say.

"Well, he was already almost dead when we found him." Juuzou continues, skipping along happily as we pass through a doorway, a table covered by a sheet in the middle of the empty space, large cubes of quinque steel to our left.

"Such modesty." Dr.Chigyou muses, approaching the table. "Here we are, Suzuya. Your new quinque." He announces, promptly pulling the sheet off. Juuzou's eyes widen, his mouth slightly open. Wow... that's even more impressive than I imagined. In front of us sits a large scythe, gleaming under the bright lab lights. It has a slight purple shine to the metal. I think that thing is taller than me! I After an initial moment of shock, Juuzou reaches out and picks up his new quinque, testing how it feels in his hands. "What do you think? It's nice isn't it?" Dr.Chigyou presses as Juuzou runs away towards one of the blocks to our left. "Huh? Suzuya...?"

"Let's see how sharp you are!" Juuzou chirps, spinning the scythe in one hand before readjusting his grip and slicing a cube in half with a powerful swing. Dr.Chigyou's mouth drops open. Even with his back turned, I can practically see the smirk on his face.

"Our quinque steel!" Dr.Chigyou exclaims in dismay while Shinohara claps his hands over his eyes and rubs his temples with a groan. I flinch away slightly. Oh the CCG is not going to be happy about this...

"Shinohara, can I give him a name?" Juuzou asks, still not turning to look at us, holding he scythe up in the air with one hand like it's nothing.

"Yeah, owners are typically free to name their quinque." Shinohara answers. Juuzou gazes up at the shiny dark surface, purple reflecting off in the light.

"Then, I choose 'Juuzou's Jason.'" The white haired boy says. Later, we join up with the rest of the group for another meeting.

"Something has been bothering me, so we drew up this report." Houji starts, looking at his papers.

"Right. We've been investigating the time surrounding the eyepatch ghoul's first appearance, and we ran into a troubling possibility." Takizawa states.

"Troubling?" Shinohara inquires.

"Yes. Four months ago, in the 20th Ward," Takizawa begins, switching the lights off and projecting a picture of fallen metal beams. "there was an accident involving fallen steel girders."