15th Birthday

Mateo's POV
"Mateo! Mateo!" Antonio's voice yells as he busts into my room at like 7 am in morning.

"What! Where's the fire?" I call, jerking up suddenly and flinging my hands out in front of me, ready to defend.

"Nowhere. It's your birthday, Teo. It's your birthday!" He explains, jumping onto my bed, landing on me.

"Is it now," I tease, smiling. He nods rapidly and starts pulling my hand.

"Come on, come on. Lets go. Everyone's waiting," he says excidetly.

"Ok, ok. Let me get dressed and I'll meet you downstairs," I say, pushing him off of me lightly and throw on my binder, shirt, pants and poncho.

I yawn and rub my eyes, opening my door to the world outside.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" I hear everyone yell, a rainbow clear around the house.

A spring of confetti goes off in my face, getting in my mouth as someone tackles me.

"How's it feel to be the same age as your's truly, little cousin," Camilo says, throwing an arm on my shoulder.

"It feels the exact same, Milo. The exact same," I say, shoving his arm off me.

"Happy birthday, sobrino. We're so happy for you," Tia Pepa says, hugging me tightly and kissing my cheek.

The next person to approach me is Isabella and Mirabel. They both hug me and Isa hands me a bouquet of marigolds and tulips.

"For you, primo," she compliments.

"Thank you Isa," I thank, taking the flowers.

I get hugs and happy birthday's but I look for dad in the crowd of family.

"Where's Papa?" I ask, my breath picking up slightly, afraid he didn't care enough to come.

"Here, here. Excuse me Pepa," he pushes past them, and coming up to me.

My worried expression falls. I go and hug him tightly, my legs lifting up from the ground slightly in excitement and relief.

"You came," I whispered.

"Of course I came. I didn't want to miss anything else important in my sons life," He whispers back.

I look back to where everyone was once standing to see them all filing out to the kitchen. He pulls back and digs out a little box from his poncho.

"For you. Happy birthday kiddo," He hands it to me.

I open it up and see a little bracelet with bright green beads, little hourglass charms and the words 'verdadero hombre trans' on it which translates to 'true trans man'.

I stared down at it with admiration. Tears start up in my eyes as I slowly pick it up from the box.

"Well, if you don't like it I can always make another one that'll..." I cut him off with a giant hug.

"No need. I love it," I thank, pulling back and putting it on my wrist.

"Anyway, shall we go get some cake," I say, taking his hand and pulling him to the kitchen.

Julieta had made some of famous and absolutely delicious chocolate cake. They all sang happy birthday to me as I sat there with an awkward smile. After they finished I blew out all 15 candles and the cake was served.

I got to spend my first birthday with my father after ten years of spending them without him. And everything went as well as I imagined it would.

Short but cute!