Strangers Like Me

It had been a warm night in the summer of 1776. Kooky was playing Bach's Prelude in C Major on the keyboard; a sensible piece for a beginner like him. His father paced the room back and forth, slapping a ruler in the palm of his hands to keep time.

Kooky yawned under his breath, his eyelids growing heavier by the minute. He was becoming tired of playing the same dreamy sequence over...and over...and over....

and over...

and over........

AND OVER!

As Kooky had drifted off to sleep, he'd inadvertently hit the wrong key. His father was dead silent now. Kooky trembled on the piano bench, suddenly wide awake.

"G...C...E..." His father muttered under his breath, slowly advancing towards the keyboard.

"G....C...E...G....C....E....G, C, E, G-C-E, GCE!" He yelled, forcing Kooky's little fingers into those keys on the keyboard. It hurt, but he didn't dare say anything.

"G!C!E! WHAT THE HELL IS SO DIFFICULT ABOUT THAT!?" His father screamed. Kooky didn't answer as he silently used the last slivers of his energy to hold back his tears.

His father sighed deeply as he sat down at the dinner table. He drank his alcohol straight from the glass pitcher, seemingly unable to last the duration of the music lesson without a drink. When he'd finished consuming its contents, he set the glass down. He rubbed his temples, mumbling about how big of a disappointment Kooky was to his entire family. He'd wished Mozart was his son instead.

"HEY! I didn't tell you to stop!" His father shouted. "You're going to sit there all night if you have to! Dedication is what separates the elite from the commoners!"

Kooky was very tired. He had no energy to care about being an elite or a commoner, he just wanted to go to bed.

But he did not dare complain. A night at the piano bench was much more preferred to another night locked in the cold, dark, stone cellar.

He was simply lucky he'd gotten off without a beating this time.

~~~

"So...why are we going to Germany again?" Lili asked.

"Why not?" Ludwig retorted, "It's a free vacation. The School is paying for everything."

"Ok, sure but...won't this be, like,...triggering for you?"

"It could, but my therapist said this kind of exposure could trigger lost memories--"

"And then you'll finally be able to remember why you were in the ER."

"Sure." Ludwig replied. He himself had almost forgotten that he'd even been in the ER.

"I don't expect it'll be too scary anyway, because I'm very strong and brave."

"Alright, whatever you need to tell yourself." Lili responded, rolling her eyes playfully.

She picked up the remote to the private jet's television set. "What do you wanna watch?"

"How about Jurassic Park?"

"Jurassic Park?"

"Yeah. The flight might take a while, we could watch the whole series." He smiled.

Lili shrugged. "Sure. You put the first movie in while I make us some popcorn; I think Roy said this thing had a microwave somewhere..."

Just as she wandered off to find it, Roy flew back into the cabin with Joseph in tow.