ISSUE #4

The aeroplane landed somewhere on the border between the Netherlands and Germany. Mr Stark had kitted Steve out with an impeccable, practically bullet proof, suit of red and white armour, very similar to the show costume he once wore. Bucky had received a blue, semi-bulletproof uniform. (Y/N), however, had been given nothing from Stark, except a handsome watch which changed as he crossed time zones; it had a thick leather strap and a large face.

'I have nothing to give a smarter man than myself,' Howard Stark had told him when he handed the watch over, 'except a watch; every man needs a watch, and I've noticed you don't wear one.'

'You're a lot brighter than me, Mr Stark,' (Y/N) (L/N) said, his cheeks growing hot. If there was one way to his heart it was to compliment his mind.

'Perhaps in the field of engineering,' Howard replied, 'but I read your PhD application for Columbia, quite interesting.'

'I got rejected,' complained (Y/N), 'they didn't think x-rays could be utilized in the field of genetics.'

'I'd quite like to read your proposal once this is all over; I think you're onto something Dr (L/N), and I'm willing to sponsor you.' (Y/N) was about to summarise his PhD proposal then and there, but he caught Bucky glaring at Mr Stark. 'I think Sergeant Barnes needs something,' said Stark, 'but the offer still stands Dr (L/N).'

(Y/N) (L/N) checked the watch now, as he stood on the ground below the plane he'd just been on. He wore his usual uniform, just with the addition of the jacket Bucky had given him the night they'd escaped HYDRA.

'Take this,' Peggy Carter interrupted his thoughts, handing him a Browning GP-35, along with a few filled magazines and a silencer. 'Although from what Steve's told me, you may not need it,' she winked.

'What did he...' he'd begun to ask, but she shushed him.

'You make things float, and then pass out, am I correct?'

'Well, it's a little more complicated than that,' (Y/N) replied sourly, he hadn't forgotten what he'd done to the bar tender in Brooklyn.

'Use what you've got Dr (L/N),' she told him, 'Don't think for one moment HYDRA won't be doing the same.'

Rain had been falling in bucket loads ever since they'd landed, bouncing off the floor and turning the grass to a muddy sludge in which (Y/N) slipped and slid in. He grumbled as he watched his boots, which he'd only just cleaned and polished, quickly turn brown and heavy as the mud saturated the souls.

Bucky, Steve, Peggy, and Howard were stood around a soft-top jeep, of which Howard held the keys. 'Installed an excellent radio, and this soft top has the potential to survive any attack,' Stark explained, handing the keys to Steve as he tapped the roof.

'I never learned how to drive, sir,' Steve told him, passing the keys back. Howard then went to drop the keys in Bucky's hands, but he couldn't accept them either.

Before he moved to New York, (Y/N) couldn't understand how anybody could survive without a car. He used to tease both Bucky and Steve for their inability to drive a vehicle, but he now understood why they never bothered to learn; the subway was cheap, and considerably quicker since there was no traffic underground.

'I'll drive,' (Y/N) piped up cheerily, walking forward, and taking the keys before climbing into the driver's side of the car.

'Control for the roof is here,' Howard indicated, pointing to a small switch on the dashboard.

'Got it,' nodded (Y/N). Bucky Barnes climbed into the passenger seat, and once Steve had given his farewell to Peggy, he got into the back, resting his new shield on the seat beside him.