ISSUE #7

Mable (L/N) arrived home at ten past eight the following morning. It was often her custom to go straight to bed after such a long night shift, but she could hear her son laughing in the kitchen, his chuckles cutting through the echo of an American accent which spoke confidently. Her heels tapped against the wooden floorboards in the living room, and then began to clap against the tile as she entered the kitchen.

         'Mam,' (Y/N) smiled, placing down his knife and fork, and standing up, the handsome gentleman sat beside him did the same. A wide grin spread across her face as she rushed to her son, holding him tightly against her whilst she showered his cheeks with kisses, staining them red. She hadn't liked red lipstick until a few years ago, she thought it a little bold, but after hearing that Hitler despised it, she went out and spent half a week's rations on the stuff.

         'I've missed you so much,' she sighed, squeezing him tightly, as though he might be snatched away at any moment. 'Oh,' she then gasped, leaving go of her son, 'I don't believe we've met,' she said to the stranger.

         'James Barnes, ma'am,' he saluted, he'd noticed her uniform.

         'Oh, it's nice to finally put a face to the name,' she smiled kindly, 'and there's no need to salute me Mr Barnes, you're a sergeant I'm told?'

         'Yes ma'am,' he nodded.

         'It's Mable,' she said, 'now sit down before your eggs get cold!' James Barnes did as she said, and Mable went to fix herself a plate of breakfast. There wasn't much, but at least there was fresh bacon to go with their powdered eggs. Once her plate was as full as their rations permitted, she took the seat between her mother and sister. 'So, what exactly where you lot laughing at, when I came in?'

         'Bucky was just telling us about how (Y/N) put the head of the British Army in his place,' Mary explained, 'which part did you get up to James?'

         'When he had the Lieutenant General stuttering in fear?' James asked, as though he himself were trying to remember, 'or when he began bragging about being Chief Medical Officer?'

         'I wasn't bragging,' scoffed (Y/N), 'I was making a point.'

         'Chief Medical Officer?' Mable questioned, her son had left that out of his letters. He could be insufferably humble at times. 'Why did you never tell me this?'

         'I don't like boasting,' he shrugged.

         'I'll boast for him,' James Barnes grinned, swallowing a mouthful of egg, 'he's the best doctor in the allied forces, he brought down half a HYDRA base – no wonder your army wants him.'

         'HYDRA?' Gladys asked, 'what's that?' Mable watched James as he went to answer her question, but (Y/N) shook his head at him.

         'Nothing,' he told his grandmother. Mable knew her son was lying. She'd heard a couple of the directors of her division mention it before. 'Have you had any letters from Violet? Where abouts did you say she was staying?' He asked in an obvious attempt to change the topic of the conversation.

         'Wales,' Gladys McGowan answered him quickly, oblivious to the subject change, 'she could hardly believe you know Captain America; by the sounds of it she's been boasting to all of her friends at her new school. Why didn't you invite him to come stay as well?'

         'Steve's with a friend in London,' replied (Y/N).

         'A girlfriend?' Mary questioned. Mable rolled her eyes. She knew exactly what was coming, and she knew her son had no interest in relationships, but she did find it interesting watching him interact with James Barnes.