Chapter 9- The Fine Art of Deal-Making

Layth- Before

Even though his father relented and granted him permission to go to the Siyad villages, he had done it more to appease his son than for any real concern. Ademir joined him, of course, but Layth had an inkling that he was anticipating a visit to the village of his maternal grandfather, where he grew up.

"Walk me through your plan, Layth." Ademir had asked.

"We go there and catch these scoundrels red-handed."

Ademir had sighed and shook his head, "You can't expect to just storm into a village in all your galore and find what you want."

"Then what are you suggesting?"

"Visit," he said simply. "Like any passerby, just spend a day or two there as a commoner."

Layth didn't like to admit it, but the truth was that he wasn't much of a tactician, and Ademir was probably right. So they set out, just the two of them, to visit Ademir's uncle.

Upon arriving in the village they dismounted their horses and made their way past the wharf, where women sat gutting fish and sailors shouted across the docs as they set off for the. Layth listened in to the shrill chatter of the women as they passed by.

"My daughter is never home these days! I never know what she's doing anymore," one woman complained.

"Are you sure there isn't a boy?" another one wheedled.

"Only the other day I saw my neighbor's son sneak off with a girl in the middle of the night!" a third woman butted in.

Layth sighed and moved on as they made their way to the marketplace.

"Knives, daggers, or even a sword, Khan's Forgery is the best, mark my word!" a boy called out in a scratchy voice, as another peddler tried to vie for attention instead, "Trinkets for a beloved? Only 3 dirhams!" Layth tried to push past the man, but he was persistent. "A man as handsome as you, I am sure you have someone!"

Layth's eyes fell on the man's tray of bobbles, a necklace with an emerald green stone framed by delicate wings standing out. He hesitated for a moment, then asked, "How much for this one?"

"Ah, sahib, you have a good eye. This one is special. The stone is from the deserts of Sagar itself!" the man picked up the necklace, "So I'm sure you will understand this one is pricier. Four dinars for quality like this."

By this point, Ademir stood next to him and scoffed, "Four dinars, by the stars! Don't try to rip us off, this isn't even worth the sands of Sagar." He spoke with the lilt and cadence of the locals. "Come, Zayd, let's leave this man to steal the pocket lint of other gullible strangers." It took Layth a moment to realize he was referring to him. "I don't bring my guests here to be robbed," Ademir muttered theatrically. As they turned to walk away the man scrambled to keep them, "Alright, how about I strike you a deal? Since you are the guest of a local brother, you are my guest as well. Three dinars and nine dirhams, last call."

"Three dinars and five dirhams." Ademir bargained.

"Three dinars and seven dirhams."

"Alright, it's a deal." Layth watched in silent awe as the men shook hands, sealing the deal, after which the man effectively disappeared back into the crowd. Leaving Layth with a necklace, and Ademir three dinars and seven dirhams short.

"You shouldn't have bothered," Layth said by way of thanks.

"And watched you mope around the rest of the day? No way! Besides, I'm sure a certain lady would love what you have in your hand," he smirked.