05

𝗝𝘂𝗻𝗲 𝟮𝟲𝘁𝗵
7:30 AM

I wake up to my alarm ringing my ears, emphasizing an awful headache. The sun shines through my curtains, and I squint my eyes at the brightness. I grab my phone off my nightstand to turn it off.

To think that I set an alarm for an early morning run is a joke. I'm so exhausted.

This is too early for me. Last night was such a disaster. Talia blacking out by 8 wasn't what I had in mind for a party. Especially for her Mom's birthday.

I set my phone back down on my bedside table. I close my eyes and fall back into my pillow, about to be lost into my thoughts.

Niall's face flashes back into my mind. I remember him walking me home last night. It was a warm night, and the moonlight shined on his face in such a perfect way. He laughed at everything I said, when it wasn't even a joke.

I remember his black button up, and the way he walked. I could tell he somewhat liked me, and he stuttered multiple times.

~

"S-so what a night huh?" Niall laughs, as we walk down the front steps of Talia's house.

I giggle before saying, "Yeah if I knew I was just gonna babysit tonight I would have dressed accordingly." I pinch the sleeve of my dress.

"Well, you're a vision." He says as he looks over to give me a smile.

I feel my cheeks get hot. I smile and look down.

"Thank you," I said, stepping over the elevated square of pavement which led to the end of the driveway.

"Anytime," he insisted, "So, you're house is 3 doors down?"

~

Niall was such a gentleman. I could tell he was trying hard. He was clearly nervous, and that made my heart flutter a little bit.

The guys at NYU are so focused on themselves, and dream of a career that never works out. My ex, Emmett, was a complete douchebag. His major was film & television, and he always told me he was going to work for Pixar because 'his family has connections.'

He graduated a year ago, and now works for a small company in Brooklyn writing plays for community theaters.

Loser.

Walked up to his dorm room one morning with a breakfast bagel in hand to surprise him, and opened his door to a naked redhead in his bed. They were both passed out, and didn't even hear me open the door.

I closed the door and never contacted him again. Blocked him on everything. I completely ghosted him.

I never heard anything from him since, and he never came to my apartment to at least talk. Emmett obviously didn't care enough to try, but he obviously figured it out.

I haven't seen anyone since then, and I honestly haven't had the motivation to. The thought of going through another talking stage already exhausts me. I guess I've just been just focusing on myself.

I've been into photography most of my life, and it all started with me and Talia dressing up for 'photo shoots' we would do in her back yard when we were like 10. As I got older, my Mom got me small jobs with friends. I took pictures for weddings, family photos, senior photos, ext.

When I applied to the Photography and Imaging program at NYU, I honestly thought I had no chance of getting in. I had only been to a couple classes for photography, and mostly taught myself.

When I got the acceptance letter, my Mom seemed more excited than me. I remember her jumping up and down, and fidgeting for her phone to call all of her friends to tell them. I remember how much that made me smile. I really felt that she was proud of me.

My thoughts interrupted by the buzz of my phone.

𝑇𝑎𝑙𝑖𝑎

𝐼'𝑚 𝑏𝑒𝑦𝑜𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑘𝑓𝑢𝑙 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑙𝑎𝑠𝑡
𝑛𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡. 𝑀𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑖𝑡 𝑢𝑝 𝑡𝑜 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑡𝑜𝑛𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡?
𝐿𝑒𝑡'𝑠 𝑔𝑜 𝑜𝑢𝑡.

Ugh. I don't wanna go out. Sundays are meant for me to lay in bed all day.

Suddenly, I hear the front door slam shut.

Mom's home.

I honestly don't know how she does it. Pulling all nighters, constantly standing, and cleaning up people's shit. I could never.

I hear her walk up the stairs, and walk down the hall to her room. Her footsteps are slow. She has to be exhausted. She closes her door, and I know she's going straight to bed for the rest of the day.

I focus back at the message on my phone. Talia always does make it up to me. I don't want to go out, but what else am I gonna do today?

Nothing.

I reply back with a heart. I sit up in my bed, dreading the process of getting ready. It really is a chore.

I'm not going.

I pick my phone back up and dial Talia. Running through what I'm gonna say in my head, I wait for her to pick up. I get out of bed and stand in front of my window, moving the curtain aside. Another gorgeous summer day.

"Hey!" Talia greets.

Here we go.

"Hey! Um, Talia I don't think..." I start, but was immediately interrupted by Talia's excitement.

"You won't believe who decided to come out with us tonight!!" She squeals. My heart sinks. I force a chuckle in response.

"I invited the boys! Niall and Louis had to beg Harry to come along too!" She says.

Harry?

This should be interesting. Harry pretty much told Niall and Louis last night that he was repulsed by the thought of me romantically. Honestly, that made my stomach drop to think about it.

But why?

Like am I that awful? I like to think that I'm at least average. I mean, I've gotten any guy that I've ever wanted.

Harry probably has a type. I'm guessing dark hair and dark eyes. I feel like he likes his women with an edgier, exotic look.

"Scarlett?" Talia questions.

"Oh! Yeah! That's sounds great. What am I wearing?" I ask, with anxiety filling my chest.

"Something sexy. Niall would appreciate it." she laughs.

I giggle at the thought. "And why do you say that?" I sarcastically ask.

"We are sitting at the table right now for breakfast and Niall won't shut up about you." Talia laughs again.

I hear Louis laugh in the background.

"Oh whatever," I groan. "Where are we going tonight?"

"We are going to that sports bar downtown!" she says with excitement.

Moxie's. It's a locally-owned bar downtown that the only young people in this town go to. I've never been, but I've heard it gets rowdy at night.

"Moxie's?" I ask.

"Yeah! Harry was just saying it's so fun and he's missed it." Talia replies.

Harry looks like he would go there.

"Sounds good! See you tonight, Love you." I say before hanging up.

-

𝙣𝙚𝙭𝙩 𝙛𝙚𝙬 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙖 𝙩𝙧𝙞𝙥. 𝙂𝙍𝘼𝘽 𝙔𝙊𝙐𝙍 𝙋𝙊𝙋𝘾𝙊𝙍𝙉
𝕒𝕧𝕒<𝟛