C 290-291

After plugging in the heating rod, Lu Xingzhi took off his jacket and grabbed a red packet deep in the pockets. Handing it over to Jiang Yao, he said, "Colonel Lin asked me to give Brother Liang this when I see him tomorrow, it is a gift from him. Let me keep it in your bag lest I forget."

Jiang Yao could feel the bulging red packet when she took it from Lu Xingzhi. Surely there was quite a sum of cash inside it.

"Oh? Does Colonel Lin know Brother Liang too?" Jiang Yao asked nonchalantly.

"Yeah, they have a good relationship. Plus, they are distantly related to each other." Lu Xingzhi nodded. "Here in the platoon, Colonel Lin is a great man, and Mrs. Lin is trustable as well. They are really good people, do not worry."

Lu Xingzhi knew both Colonel Lin and Mrs. Lin very well. "Mrs. Lin is from Jin City. Both her parents are important officers in the Jin City governmental institution unit."

Jiang Yao was a little surprised. Mrs. Lin was a kind and friendly character, who knew she came from a family with such a powerful background.

Giving it a little more thought though, Jiang Yao began to piece the information together. Liang Yueze also came from an influential family. Since Colonel Lin was Liang Yueze's distant relative, it made perfect sense that both Colonel Lin and Mrs. Lin were married to each other.

"As for Mrs. Zhu." Lu Xingzhi held Jiang Yao's hands and rubbed them. Feeling her warmth, he sat her down and continued, "Major Zhu spoke to me some days ago, expressing his decision to transfer back to the countryside. He feels his body is not up to the rigorousness of the platoon anymore. With his military title here, he can arrange for a comfortable position if he moves to the countryside. Since he does not want to stay in the platoon any longer, you do not have to see Mrs. Zhu anymore."

Lu Xingzhi was a keen observer. Even though he was drinking a lot during dinner, his focus was always on Jiang Yao. Naturally, he heard the entirety of the ladies' conversation, although he pretended not to.

Hearing Mrs. Zhu's questions toward Jiang Yao, he was concerned, worrying if Jiang Yao would feel uncomfortable with her questioning.

He knew extremely well how important Jiang Yao's visit to the platoon was. If her stay here was unpleasant, she would not come back again for any visits. Hence, it was crucial that she had a good time during her stay here in the platoon.

"That is fine, let's not talk about it anymore." Jiang Yao waved her hand, indicating her intention to stop the conversation. Ever since she arrived and had met Mrs. Ge, she had been talking non-stop for quite some time.

She moved her chair and shifted closer to Lu Xingzhi, wanting to lift his shirt up. He extended his hand out, trying to stop her from doing it. Seeing this, she stomped her feet, throwing a light tantrum and glared at him. Only then, did she manage to lift his shirt up.

Seeing his wound, Jiang Yao sighed. Although she knew that it was only an external injury, she could not help but feel pain piercing through her heart.

"Let me get the medicine." Shaking her head in disapproval, she loosened her grip on his shirt.

Lu Xingzhi sat there rigidly, observing Jiang Yao's expressions. He was relieved seeing that she did not cry.

He remembered the time when Mrs. Ge, seeing Major Ge wheeled out from the operating room after a big surgery, broke down and wailed like there was no tomorrow. No one could do anything about it.

And now seeing Jiang Yao's composed reaction, he was convinced that he chose the right woman to be his spouse.

A girl like Jiang Yao, who looked soft and gentle on the outside but was actually courageous and independent, was just Lu Xingzhi's type.

Recently, Jiang Yao had been busy in the lab working on a lot of projects. The powdered medicine for Lu Xingzhi's wound was one of them. All the medicines were wrapped in clean wax papers. She gave them to Lu Xingzhi.

"I have not seen medicine packed in such a way for a long time. Looks like something from a movie." Lu Xingzhi chuckled. "Where did you get this?"

"What if I say I made it myself, would you still use it? This medicine can stop bleeding and reduce swelling, plus it helps with healing of the wound. Stop exerting yourself before it heals, alright?" Jiang Yao urged.

"Since you made it for me, I would definitely use it." Lu Xingzhi took the medicine from her. "Why don't you administer it once I am done bathing?"

Seeing Jiang Yao's calm demeanor, Lu Xingzhi felt comfortable asking for a little benefit for himself—enjoying some physical contact with his wife.

As a man, experiencing injuries were part and parcel of his job. He had no problems suffering for a better future. Each one of his scars were a reminder of his achievements. Hence, even after amassing countless injuries since joining the military, he never once told his family.

Jiang Yao glanced at Lu Xingzhi, a little surprised at his lack of questions regarding the details of the medicine.

She had even thought of excuses just in case Lu Xingzhi asked.

Well then...

Jiang Yao pretended to return to the bedroom, grabbing all her lab-made medicine and presented them to Lu Xingzhi.

"I brought these too." Jiang Yao shoved the medicines to Lu Xingzhi. "This is an odorless bug repellent. I remembered you mentioning how you have to stay still in the bushes for a long time when going for missions in the wilderness. Use this! It is really effective in repelling bugs!"

This was the first product created from her fooling around in the lab. Ever since she had seen it in the complete herbology collection, she had always wanted to try it out. After preparing it, she used it on herself, wanting to see if it would work. It worked amazingly well, protecting her from incessant bug bites in the hot and humid summer of the south.

"This is a powder that can stop bleeding quickly. The only bad thing is the strong herbal smell it gives off. It is probably not convenient for you though, using it on your missions." Jiang Yao scratched her head and continued, "Well, it does not hurt to have some on you."

Why did she bring so many things with her?

"What is that?" Lu Xingzhi pointed at a packet closest to him, but not mentioned by Jiang Yao.

Jiang Yao held it up and after a swift look, pushed the pack away.

"You are not going to use this! Let me take it away!" Jiang Yao laughed. She did not notice that she had taken out the packet of itchy powder by accident.

"Well, what is it?" Jiang Yao's laughter piqued Lu Xingzhi's interest. He grabbed it, intending to open it up and see what it contained.