D.B. RUSSEL - THE NEW BOSS

You had been on the CSI graveyard shift for years now, and seeing your old friends come and go really took its toll on you. While some went on the better places, some didn't get to be so lucky, and you found yourself winding up at your desk stuck on a case, completely lost in what to do next.

Of course, this wasn't the case most of the time, you enjoyed getting to know the new additions to the team, you just reminisced on the old times a little too hard.

"Tox report came back on the victim.. it turns out there were no signs of any anesthetics or drugs used to incapacitate her." Greg announced walking in to the layout room where you had completely zoned out.

"Y/N?"

"Yeah? Sorry.. I was just thinking.."

"No problem, I'll just leave the results here." Greg said, before walking out to the door before making a quick turnaround.

"Oh yeah, and we have a new boss.. Catherine and Sara met him at a crime scene earlier today, it was very interesting.."

"Oh, that's great. I guess I'll run into them soon.." you replied, anxious at another new recruit.

"Keep up the good work.." Greg said with a smile, before heading out.

You took another look at the photos taken at the crime scene on a case you were assigned, sighing in hopes you would find something interesting or something that might help with a possible dead end.

Looking up at the clock, the time read 2:45AM, the appropriate time for a mid-time coffee break to help aid with the brain fog.

As you reach the break room, you pour yourself a cup of coffee and add some sugar for a caffeine boost.

As you drink your coffee, you hear an unfamiliar voice ,"Ah yes mother nature's greatest invention, the source for all you CSI's to get to work and power yourselves."

You gulp down the coffee, startled, and turn to see an older man, a good looking older man at that. But the way he carried himself and especially after saying a weird sentence like that, you were weirded out.

"Excuse me?" You ask, confused.

"Sorry, my apologies, I'm CSI Russel, your supervisor. And I'm assuming you are..." Russel then paused to take a look at your badge, "...CSI L/N, nice to meet you." He said, holding his hand out.

"Y-you too..." You stammered, shaking his hand. What was making you feel this way?

"I heard you're working that Ice Pick case solo, pretty gruesome for a young lady like you to be working on all alone don't you think?" He said, striking up a conversation with you.

"I-I'm fine on my own thanks... its nothing I haven't seen before or haven't gotten used to.."

"Aw now that's what I like to see, a young, tough CSI like you. I'm sure you can solve it." He said with a smile that made you blush slightly.

"Thank you, I'm sure I can." You smiled, lying through your teeth knowing at how much of a dead end you were at.

D.B. then took a deep breath, "You know I see you in there, struggling to find an answer.."

You paused, your eyes wide as the old man had figured out your bluff.

"I see how hard you try, and how lost you get trying to make end pieces fit together.. so I'm telling you this now, if you ever need help with anything, you can just come to my office and we can help sort this out together okay?" He said, essentially warming your heart.

"You don't have to do that... all for me... I really..." you became lost on words, you barely knew him and he was acting so kind.

"It's my pleasure, and my job after all, not only as your supervisor but as a friend too." He said smiling.

Before you could get another word out, he beat you to it, saying, "Well I suppose I'll let you get back to your case, and I'll be in my office if you need me." He said, walking out of the breakroom, waving goodbye, smiling.

You couldn't help but do the same. Something about him was really.... unique. Special even.