I

-Y/N-

I trudged my feet across the sidewalk. The sun was barely out, and the weather was bleak. Small mist hung in the air around me. It would soon turn into rain. Typical Seattle weather. I kept my hood up, adjusted my backpack, and followed the hoard of kids walking to school. The music in my earbuds was soon ignored to background noise.

The bell rang just as I sat down in my first period class, I sighed, taking out my materials. I only had a couple friends, and even those were not in this class. Perhaps I'd see them at lunch...

Somehow the hour slowly passed, and the class was over. I repeated this over and over until it was lunch time. The day seemed like any other. Boring. Dull. The same thing over and over again.

But lunch would change that.

I walked over to my usual table with my friends sitting across me. They were half eating and half studying for a test in another class. It gave me the perfect opportunity to ditch them for today. I loved them with all my heart, but today I just didn't feel like interacting with them.

"Is it okay if I go to the library today?" I asked both of them. One of them nodded and the other waved me off. None of them took their eyes away from their work. So, I walked off to the library.

Ah... the library.

Filled to the brim with all my favorite adventures.

I could be a daring pirate.

A trapped princess.

A hot assassin.

I could have an enemy.

I could have a fairy as my best friend.

I could be anything and anyone.

These were my real friends. Although strange to admit, I had found a home in these pages. What seemed like ink on a page were actually people I had grown attached to. Places I yearned to go. I could sit on my chair but be transported to an entirely new location.

I walked over to the counter, looking around for the librarian.

"Mr. Carter?" I called out, peeping behind the counter. There seemed to be a man standing with his back facing me. He turned around. I expected to meet Mr. Carter's warm brown eyes, his crinkled smile, his silky brown hair.

Instead, an old man turned to face me. His hair was a mane of golden wisps. His eyes darker, somehow... eternal. The wrinkles on his face were for some reason... symmetrical? He reminded me of... a lion?

"Ah Y/N." The old man nodded to himself, walking over.

"How do you know my name?" I asked, stepping ever so slightly back.

The old man's smile didn't fade. "Mr. Carter, your usual librarian left a note saying you usually come by the library." He explained.

"Oh... well I was here to pick up a book I had a hold on." I brushed off my suspicion. The old man was just a substitute teacher.

"Ah, of course. I have just the thing." The old man rummaged in a few drawers and pulled out a book. But this book had no cover, it was simply leather bound. He reached over, extending the book to me. I took a hold of it and assessed it. The leather was cool to the touch. It wasn't a large book but seemed to weigh heavier than the ones I usually read.

"Nar...Narnia?" I read the gold lettering on the side of the book out loud. I had never heard of such a book. What was a Narnia? "I don't think this is the book I asked for..." I said, looking back up at the old man.