XIV

-Eustace's Diary-

-Y/N-

The sea thrashed violently outside my porthole. The waves crashed mercilessly onto our ship, trying their best to break it.

"This is your last chance to turn back, your Majesties." Drinian came through the door of the office where Caspian, the Pevensies, and I were sitting around. "Needle in a haystack trying to find this remote place. We can sail way past and get knocked to the end of world. We can be eaten by a sea serpent. You see, the men are getting nervous. These are strange seas we are sailing. The likes of which I've never seen before."

"Then perhaps captain, you'd love to be the one to explain to Mr. Rince that we're abandoning the search for his family?" I spoke up, looking directly at the Captain. He stepped back, faltering.

"I'll get back to it." He turned to leave, but then paused right before. "Just a word of warning, the seas can play nasty tricks on a crew mind... Very nasty." He muttered before leaving the room.

"I think we should all get some rest." Caspian said, standing up and looking at all of us. "I have a feeling we're about to face something a lot worse than a storm."

With that, everyone murmured in agreement and started to get up from their seats. I made my way down to the cabins. I was sharing one with Lucy initially, but over the trip I seemed to spend so much time with Peter that I shifted my hammock there.

Peter got up on his as I went up onto mine. I tried to close my eyes and fall asleep but whether it was the pounding waves outside or anxious feeling in my stomach, sleep just couldn't come to me.

I shifted my position and as I did, I heard a crinkle noise coming from my jacket. Confused, I dove my hand into my pocket to pull out a piece of paper.

At first, I didn't know what it was, but as I unraveled it, I recognized it. It was the one I had ripped from the Book of Incantations. The one that would tell me how to belong.

I looked at the words longingly.

A place in which I don't fit in
A throne that's uncomfortable to sit in
A crown that slips
Battle cries on my lips

Expectations that only seem to rise
But with it, also comes my demise
A miraculous power
As rare as a desert flower

If only I could be like they
Royalty without having to pay
To simply stand as a Queen
To be noticed, not just seen

I sat up in my hammock and looked at the words again. This time I dared to mutter them under my breath.

At first nothing seemed to happen. But then the boat seemed to tilt. "Peter!" I said out loud as my hammock tipped over. I fell to the ground with a thud.