Chapter 7 Delta

Aris-B333 opted to skip out on the cryo-chamber for the slipspace travel.

Athena: You do know this is unhealthy right?

Aris: If the officers can do it, a Spartan can.

Athena: You do know this is against regulation, right?

Aris: And for that, I just don't care.

He was within an empty corridor near the bridge, helmet off and held to his side. His eyes of azure gazed into the equally blue space outside the In Amber Clad. The redhaired orange A.I. within his possession over his shoulder, kicking her legs while they admired the deep hues.

Athena: I have a question. About the Spartans.

Aris: Mhm?

Athena: You guys were made to fight the Covenant, right?

Aris: The Spartan IIs. . . Master Chief, I'm not too sure. ONI's a pain in the ass when it comes to the 'why' of these things. The Spartan IIIs were. . . Noble. . . yeah, we were made to fight the Covenant.

Six let out a sigh as he ran his gloved hands through his raven black hair.

Athena: . . . When we win this war, what do you think they'll do with the Spartans?

Aris: . . . Probably use us to do whatever dirty work is left.

Athena: Are you going to-

Aris: No.

Athena: But if they-

Aris: I agreed to becoming a Spartan because the Covenant glassed my home planet and orphaned me. I didn't sign up to fight Insurrectionists.

Athena: . . . *mumbles* You know what they'll do to you if they deem you, "unfit for duty", right? Not to mention what they'll do to me for being your A.I.-

Aris: They can try to kill me, cripple me, discredit me, use whatever the hell they've got up their sleeves and throw it at me. . .

I am not going to let them touch you, no matter how hard they try.

The A.I. donned a small smile. She was beyond pleased with her choice. . . .

———————————————————————

November 2, 2552

(A/N- Please correct me if the date is wrong)

After nearly a month in slip space. . . the other end of the portal tore itself open in the dead of space, the Covenant Carrier exiting through along with the debris they took from New Mombasa. Not allowing themselves to lag behind, humanity arrived as well, the In Amber Clad in hot pursuit.

Miranda: Report!

Officer 1: Both engine cores have spun to zero, we're drifting.

Officer 2: Archer pods are cold. I'll need to re-key the system.

Miranda: Do it, and find out where we are.

The Launch Bays were loaded with drop pods, Orbital Drop Shock Troopers loaded within them along with a number of marines, and the two Spartans aboard as well.

Miranda: *radio* Sorry for the quick jump, Sergeant. Are you still in one piece?

Johnson: I'm good. Chief? Six?

Cortana: We're fine.

Athena: Ay-oh-kay!