Prologue

Camilo Madrigal and (y/n) Sanchez, the inseparable pair, as the townspeople would call them.

Since they were five, the two of them have been attached to the hip. One would not leave the other's side from morning until curfew.

They met during Camilo's Gift Ceremony. The young girl had gone with her mamá and papá to attend the joyous occasion and the boy's very special day.

When Camilo's door glowed the perfect shade of yellow, his picture beautifully engraved on the wood, he turned around with the biggest grin on his face.

(y/n) was the first person he saw in the crowd, her big and starry eyes stared up at him in amazement. She was holding onto her mother's dress with her heart filled with happiness at the magical sight. The crowd cheered for the young Madrigal.

As Camilo and (y/n) held their gazes at each other, the boy suddenly felt a change in his body. Everybody in La Casa Madrigal gasped in surprise and (y/n)'s eyes widened even more.

"Camilo, mijo!" His mother, Pepa, excitedly said as his father, Felix, only stood beside her in shock with his mouth agape.

Camilo glanced down at his hands only to find them different, and he was wearing... a dress? The same dress that the little girl had on.

He thought hard on his own appearance, and suddenly, he's back to normal.

The enchanted house erupted in howls and cheers once again. Shapeshifting, perfect for someone silly and goofy.

Ever since then, the two younglings would always play together and spend time at each other's houses. Camilo would sometimes shape-shift into (y/n)'s mother to get her to do little things like bringing him a flower that he would later tuck behind her ear.

Everyone in town was happy seeing the two running around the streets. It reminded them of their own childhood when Encanto was still young and blooming.

It remained that way for 4 years. One day, when they were nine, something happened that drove the inseparable pair to separate.

They didn't talk for the next six years after the unfortunate event, no matter how much their parents encouraged them to.

But they still remained in each other's hearts. They just didn't know how to approach one another.

(y/n) lived farthest from La Casa Madrigal, which meant she rarely ever saw the magical family.

Most she saw was Luisa carrying the donkeys like they were just small pillows and sometimes, Isabela growing fragrant flowers everywhere.

They greeted her whenever they passed each other outside. She used to be a close friend of the Madrigal family after all.

Tonight was the youngest Madrigal's Gift Ceremony. Antonio, very cute kid. (y/n) had seen him a couple of times. He looked a lot like Tío Felix.

The girl wanted to be there for him tonight because it was an important day for Antonio. But she was hesitant because she would definitely see Camilo there.

"(y/n)!" The door burst open as a short little boy stumbled into the living room.

"Holá, Mateo. Slow down, you're gonna trip!" (y/n) greeted her brother, a sweet smile gracing her features.