10

"She's not dead. Just unconscious." The doctor informed while checking up on the wounded girl after fixing up Camilo's sprain.

A sigh of relief escaped from her father's chest. Camilo and Pepa also let go of the breaths they didn't notice they were holding.

Luckily, the doctor had proper supplies to bandage up (y/n)'s scrapes, but it would be difficult to fix the problem with her head.

Yes, Encanto does have a doctor despite having a lady whose food can heal what's broken. It was for emergency purposes like this, when Julieta is unable to cook or when the patient... is unable to eat. In this case, it's both.

"If you don't mind," the doctor gestured over to the door.

"Right. Thank you, Doc." Mr. Sanchez said before leaving with Pepa. Camilo hesitantly followed with one last look at the girl.

"I'll call you once I'm finished." The doctor assured and nodded.

Camilo was still filled with worry. If he could, he would've traded places with (y/n). 'It should've been me,' he thought as he fiddled with his trembling fingers.

"Mijo, she'll be okay. You'll get to see her again soon." Pepa comforted, rubbing circles on her son's back.

"It was my fault. I- I shouldn't have let her- I should've stopped her from going back." He choked back a sob.

"You tried, Camilo. You did."

"I should've protected her. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He gripped on his ruana, remembering the way the girl did the same earlier.

Mr. Sanchez' face softened at the boy desperately trying to hold back his tears. He placed a hand on his shoulder and leaned down to face him. Camilo looked up at the Sanchez with watery eyes.

"You tried and that's enough. You were hurt, too. There was nothing more you can do, kid. Maybe it was her turn to keep you safe."

"You should be mad at me, Tío Sanchez."

"Look, my daughter kicked ass today. She may have ended up in a bad state but knowing that she's willing to get hurt to save you, it makes me so proud." He gushed.

"But-"

"You heard the doctor. She's not gone, Camilo. She is going to wake up, I promise you."

Camilo slowly nodded at his words. There were many things he could have done differently, he silently wished he could go back to the past. But for now, all he could do was wait.

After what felt like an eternity, the doctor came out of the clinic to meet with the patient's father and best friend. Pepa had gone out to help rebuild Casita.

"She's stable. We don't know when exactly she'll wake up, though. In the meantime, she'll stay in the clinic since we'd be able to monitor her better here."

"Oh, thank goodness. Thank you so much, Doc." Her father expressed his gratitude while shaking the doctor's hand.

"Of course. You may see her now."

They stepped inside the room, (y/n) laid unmoving on the single bed. She looked very calm despite the bandages wrapped around her wounded limbs and head.

The young Madrigal stalked over to her, observing her beautiful features. He smiled slightly, he had really missed her even though it's only been several hours.

"Right, there is something you should know," the doctor started. "There is a possibility that she will experience memory loss. It is not a hundred percent chance but it could happen."