7

She didn't know how she got there, but there she was. In the walls with Mirabel, chasing a very suspicious guy.

After Camilo went with his mother to calm her down, (y/n) saw Mirabel and some rats carrying the vision Bruno had before he disappeared. Being the curious girl that she is—and with her growing desire to help save the miracle, she followed her.

The next thing she knew was that she was in the walls, running after a rat man with her curly-haired friend who seemed to be a walking disaster.

"Mirabel, I'm starting to think that you're the unluckiest person in the world." She said as she sprinted behind Mirabel, just as the man jumped over a large hole on the floor.

"What do you mean? I can be lucky. Here, watch this." She imitated the man's leaps and softly landed on the other side. Mirabel turned to the Sanchez and smirked. "See? I'm the luckiest person in the wor-"

The girl yelled as the ground beneath her cracked. She held onto a stick to save herself from falling down the deep darkness.

"Mirabel!" (y/n) immediately tried to stretch her arm out to her friend but she couldn't reach her. "You're too far!"

"Well, if you can't tell, I can't get closer to you because I am literally hanging onto my dear life!"

"Now, I'm having second thoughts on saving you." (y/n) said, looking around for anything at all that Mirabel can hang on to.

"Just help me, please! Casita? Casita? Help me. Help me!"

Just as (y/n) found a sturdy wooden plank, Mirabel's grip loosened from the stick. "No!" The Sanchez yelled.

But the green-cloaked man from earlier caught her hand before the void could eat her alive. "You're very sweaty."

"Tío Bruno?" (y/n) called out in confusion, but soon after, the wood under him broke and he fell with Mirabel catching him while holding onto a branch.

A rat suddenly came out of Bruno's sleeve, making Mirabel surprisedly let go of him. His voice stopped as he fell into the cloud of dust.

"Oh no! He's dead!"(y/n) exclaimed with fear written all over her face. But she deadpanned once she saw Bruno stand up from the ground and shoo the dust away with his clothing.

"Knock, knock, knock, knock, knock! Knock on wood!" Bruno said as he and the two girls walked towards somewhere they didn't know. "You were never supposed to see that vision. No one was."

"But-"

"A little salt." He threw the salt at his back and straight to Mirabel's face which made her do a funny expression.

(y/n) snorted and was about to laugh until- "Sugar?" Grains of sugar hit her face that made her do the same thing.

"Wait. Have you been in here? Patching the cracks?" Mirabel asked.

"Oh, that? No, no, no, no, no. I'm too scared to go near those things. All the patching's done by Hernando."

"Who is Hernan-"

"I'm Hernando and I'm scared of nothing!" He said with his hood covering half of his face.

The Sanchez pressed her lips in a straight line, finding the scene funny but not wanting to offend Bruno. Mirabel only stared at him.

"It's actually me." He continued as he removed his hood and chuckled. "I say my real gift was acting!"

(y/n) slightly frowned at this. She guessed that the people, including his own mother, disliked his gift so much that he wanted to have a different one.

Having a magical power was so amazing to (y/n) and she didn't like the fact that Bruno rejected his because of the people that misunderstood it.

"I'm Jorge. I make the spackle." He said, now, with a bucket on his head.

"How is this guy a seven-foot framed man with rats along his back?" (y/n) muttered under her breath as if Camilo could hear her.

"How long have you been... back here?"

The three arrived in a space that looked like a small room. The young Sanchez saw rats playing on a brush and biting on a toothbrush. She shivered and looked away.

"You never left." Mirabel realized.

"Well, I left my tower which was, you know, a lot of stairs and uh- and here! Eh? Kitchen adjacent!" He grabbed a rat. "Ooh, ooh, plus! Free entertainment! So, what do- what do you like? What do you like? Sports? Gameshows! Telenovelas."

"Ooh! I like telenovelas!" (y/n) excitedly raised her hand.

Bruno smiled at her and sat on his dirty chair. "Their love could never be."

"I don't understand." His niece commented.

He started explaining what is happening to the drama as the young Sanchez listened closely, nodding her head.

"I don't understand why you left but didn't leave."

"Oh, well, because... you know, the mountains around the Encanto are pretty tall and uh- you know, like I said, free food and everything."

Mirabel walked towards a crack on the wall where a ray of light peeked through. She saw the dining room from there and found a drawn plate on the table, his name written on it like everyone else's.

"My gift wasn't helping the family. But uh- but I love my family, y'know? I just don't know how to... I just don't know how to..."

(y/n) watched them have a saddening moment, two people just wanting to be a part of their own family.

She thought she shouldn't interfere because it wasn't her business, she wasn't a Madrigal. Well... not yet.

She only listened and kept quiet, hearing something about Mirabel's future being undecided. Bruno figured that they would unnecessarily assume the worst so he left to protect Mirabel, to protect her from being treated even worse than she was, now.

After their conversation, he pushed the two teenagers out of his living area. (y/n) almost forgot that they were inside Casita's walls.

"Good luck. I wish I could've seen more." He closed the door behind them.

"Yeah... yeah!"

"Uh, yeah?" The young Sanchez awkwardly added.

She bursted back into the room quite aggressively with a kick. "You wish you could've seen more so see more! Have another vision!"

"Hey, she has a point."

"Uh, no, no. See, I don't do visions anymore."

A little nagging later, nagging seems like the only thing Mirabel was good at. Kidding.

"Even if I wanted to which I don't, you wrecked my vision cave! Which is a problem because I need a big, open space."

"We'll find one!"

"Where?"

"Use my room." (y/n) flinched as Antonio stood beside her with animals around him. "The rats told me everything. Don't eat those."

"Our family needs help. And you need to get out of here." They all turned to three rats taking a bath with Bruno's toothbrushes.

"Okay, that's- ooh, don't wanna see that." (y/n) shut her eyes tightly, exiting through the door but bumped into a wall instead.