𝐈𝐈

TOM RIDDLE

18th of July, 1938.

Tom had had enough of the whining and wailing at Wools. He took his coat, and flounced out of the orphanage, muttering to himself, vexed. It was raining, but it didn't matter to him, then, he only needed to breathe. He stopped mid-walk, leaning against a cobblestone wall, panting loudly as the rain kept thundering down. Once he regained his actuality, he realised he did not recognize the streets around him, he cursed indignantly, wandering around the streets of London. He entered a park, looking for a shelter against the rain, which still clattered down forcefully. He settled under a tree, the rain ludicrously stopped. He sat underneath the tree, using indications to dry himself. Once he did, he found a pair of Mary Janes beside him. Startled he looked up to find a girl, smiling peculiarly.

'Can I help you?' He asked her, repositioning himself. 'I was just passing,' Her voice sounded quite dreamy, but she hadn't moved at all. He watched as she skimmed over him. She had jet-black hair, had sharp features and warm chocolate brown eyes. Then she looked back up at him, not looking as far away as before. 'I've never seen you here before,' She remarked and Tom hummed, 'I was just passing, too,' He answered, watching her nod.

'What were you doing?' 'What?' 'Just before I came along,' 'Nothing,'

She nodded again, moving past him. He whirled around to address her when he found her rooted underneath the tree, where he sat before her. He watched as she leaned against the trunk, closing her eyes and breathing in the damp air. He looked around, to see if anyone else saw this madness. She was smiling like a madman and he crouched down. 'What're you doing?' He questioned, making sure that she wasn't actually insane. She shrugged in response, 'Sensing nature,' In the most dreamy voice. Then, she breathed out sharply and her eyes screwed shut, Tom backed away, alarmed. 'And what is that exactly?' He questioned her again, concerned. She sighed, opening her eyes, and he was sure she'd stagger over the moment she stood, but she swiftly collected herself. 'I wanted to know what you were doing, as you won't tell me yourself, so I asked the tree,' She answered. He gave her an agitated look, looking back at the tree. 'You asked...a tree?' Tom hesitated, but she only smiled. 'Ah, of course!' She chuckled. Did she think this was ordinary? Well... 'Well...' He hesitated slightly, she could be fooling him. 'What was I doing?' He was intrigued, now. She leapt forward slightly, 'Magic, of course' She whispered, and Tom's heart drummed in his chest as he froze. She had to be kidding.

And as soon as he saw her features relax in satisfaction, he stepped forward, 'You'd be a fool to lie to me,' She gave him a sinister look, 'You'd be a halfwit to think id lie,' And with narrowed eyes, he searched for a lie. 'You want proof,' She whispered again, smiling. He backed away, again, when she drew a sharp breath, again. He felt something blossom quickly by his ankles and leapt away, staggering slightly as he found a patch of Cassiope form around them. She opened her eyes again and Tom looked around, fascinated. 'Interesting...' Tom muttered, turning back to find her holding out a hand. 'I am Cassiopeia,' She smiled. Cassiope, Cassiopeia. 'The Cassiope...brilliant,' He felt keen to see more. He took her hand. 'Tom,' He introduced himself, but let go of her hand as soon as she looked like she was about to faint. She looked ill. 'Alright?' He asked, not knowing what had gone wrong. 'You are empty,' she gasped, frowning. He was frowning now, too, 'Excuse me?'He jerked his hand back when she reached for it.

'Empty,' She empathized, and Tom scoffed, 'Oh no, got that part alright- what do you mean by it,' She frowned, what had he said now? 'It means you haven't been loved- or cannot feel it,' She explained, and Tom staggered slightly, again. He was about to respond when her eyes darted beside him, widening slightly, 'I should go,' She trailed off, and Tom frowned, 'What? Why-' He asked, trying to win back her attention. 'Take care,' She smiled, passing him, and his eyes followed hers until she flouted it by focussing at the girl that had advanced at them.

He felt the Cassiope die around him. He felt strange. Since then, every afternoon he strolled in that exact park, the outskirts of London. But none of them did he see her, or feel her presence. It frustrated him.