12. Visions Of The Future (Breaking Point)

Somehow she's become the family co-parent. She doesn't recall signing up for this family in the first place, but Snow is on the phone and talking to her as though this is somehow her responsibility. "She's been vomiting and coughing and I know you have that spare guest room and Leo is still too young for the flu shot so I'm sending her over with Henry. She's impossible when she's sick. Have fun!"

She hangs up before Regina can object and Regina's left staring at the phone with a frustrated huff. She and Robin had talked about going riding today and she'd hoped that maybe some quiet time without family around would help them...adjust. To whoever they're going to be to each other from now on.

Trust Emma to find a way to unintentionally throw a wrench into any plans with Robin.

"Who was that?" he asks curiously.

They'd been eating breakfast together and struggling to keep things casual, so she puts on her best nothing is wrong face and answers, "Snow. Emma has the flu and she doesn't want her around mini-Emma, so she asked if we'd have her."

His smile turns wooden. "The Jolly Roger isn't a nurturing enough environment for her?" He barks out a laugh like he's trying to make it a joke, but it's false to both their ears and they wince together.

"I can send her there if you want," she suggests, swallowing. She knows this isn't fair to Robin. Not Emma. Not here. Not when their future is so up in the air. (And she thinks again about the image Snow had gifted her on their outing on the Jolly Roger and about her and Emma, parents of children they don't share, and dread still sinks into the pit of her stomach.)

He shakes his head. "I'm trying to be understanding, I truly am. I know that you're going through enough without me making things difficult. But I feel as though this may be..."

"Asking too much. I know." She sighs. "You're right. Of course. I'll drive her to the docks when she gets here."

They sit in unhappy silence for the next few minutes, eating mechanically and listening to the sounds of Roland playing with Henry's old remote-control car in the basement. When the doorbell rings, they both jump and Regina hurries to the door without making eye contact with Robin again.

Emma blows past her when she opens the door, a wave of red and blonde that surges toward the bathroom at top speed. Henry beams up at her like he has no idea what havoc Snow's wreaking by sending Emma here. "She was trying to hold it in so she wouldn't throw up on the porch. She's been really gross today. I'm glad you're going to take care of her instead of me having to do it."

"Henry," she half-scolds him, heading after Emma.

Emma's still retching, bent over in the bathroom with the door open and making obnoxiously loud panting sounds between each series of vomits. Of course, she can't even throw up without making a public display of it. Robin is watching from the hallway, looking vaguely queasy, and Regina rolls her eyes and wets a paper towel to wipe at the sweat on Emma's brow. "Get her a bottle of water," she orders Robin. "Then I'll talk to her."

He doesn't need to be asked twice. Emma finishes vomiting and sits back on the tiled floor up against the sink and forces a smile. "Hi." She looks awful, pale and sweaty and glassy-eyed and shivering like it isn't sixty-five degrees and sunny. It's the most defeated she's ever seen Storybrooke's stalwart saviour and she'd been there (well, orchestrated, really, but who's keeping track?) for the great Sheriff Fails To Frame Mayor playground incident way back in '12. "Mom saw me kissing the pirate under the bleachers during study hall and now I'm booted out of house and home."

"You're delirious." She casts a critical eye on the shape of Emma's pyjamas. "I hope you didn't drive here."

"I'm hilarious," Emma corrects her. She tries for a smirk but just looks constipated instead. "Thanks for putting me up. If you're putting me up, I guess. I can always just get a room at Granny's and have Henry hold a bucket for me."