11 - Sharpened words

"How did he agree?" asked Laxmana, as he watched his father stabling himself steadily. 

Ira raised a eyebrow, "Have your Mamashri ever won against me in words?" 

"Not in words, mostly in brawn," He replied cheekily. Ira swatted his head gently, "Brat!"

Duryodhana looked at them with soft gazes, as he addressed Ira, "Bhabhishri, when would he have told me?"

"Never."

Ira watched as Duryodhana's face fell, eyes staring with an unseen haze on the floor. She got up and stood in front of him. Tilting his chin, so she could make the taller man meet her eyes, she said, "You know Vrisha well, Suyo. What do you think he might have been thinking?"

"He knew if he told me, I would not have created a war. I want to fulfill my ambitions, but I need him."

"Would you do the same thing now?"

"Always."

Ira nodded, "Good. Just so you know, Vrisha does not want the throne of Hastinapura. He doesn't want his birth truth to come out in open either."

"I won't let that happen," He replied, eyes darkening at the thought that Rajmata Kunti, someone who was related to him was so cruel with an innocent life.

"Do you know the whole story regarding--? Can you tell me?"

"Say no more," said Ira, "I know the story and yes, I will tell you."

"Everyone is asking for the three of you, Maharani," said Maya, as she came in.

Ira nodded, "I expected the call. Same or some added ones are present?"

"Same," replied Maya, "Just Rajkumar Abhimanyu and his wife had been send to the Pandavas camp. Rajmata Kunti was escorted back too by her handmaiden Priyamvada."

"Alright," said Ira, glancing at Suyodhana, whose face resembled an ice block, "Are you ready?"

He nodded at the question, too furious at the injustice done to his best friend to even speak out loud.

"Let's go then."

Ira walked back towards the outer area of the tent that currently played host to the Grandsire Bhishma, the Pandava brothers, their common wife Draupadi, their cousin Krishna and his sister Subhadra. 

Along with them, to her surprise, present there was Drona, the teacher of both Kauravas and Pandavas,  Kripa, the Royal preceptor and Vidura, the Prime Minister, all belonging from Hastinapura, but staunch sympathizers of the Pandavas. 

They must have arrived after Maya disappeared from their sight to call them. Her loyal friend would have mentioned them otherwise.

She could feel Duryodhana tensing beside her, although his expressions nor his body gave away his unease. She knew he would feel alone as the presence of the elders solidified that the chances of him winning was now negligible. 

"Laxman," She said to the nephew she adores, "Go and speak with Vrishasena. He must still be at his tent."

Her obedient nephew complied without any immediate questions. She did not miss his worried glances thrown towards his father. She gave him a reassuring smile in response.

"Shall we get this started then?" said Ira, as she took a seat in a nearby chair, conveying a bearing befitting of an Empress rather than a Queen, "Do take a seat. I have no intention to waste my entire day on all of you, so kindly do not be so slow."