14. Epilogue.

Ira took in a deep breath as the wind ruffled her hair. A small smile played on her lips, yet a perplexed look crossed her eyes. She murmured, "What's he doing here? Wasn't he supposed to go to Anga?"

"Mitra Vasusena is back!?" exclaimed Duryodhana with a happy grin. 

Ira blinked turning to him, "How did you know?"

Unknown to them, the rest of the clan, including the Pandavas, Rajmata Kunti, Krishna, Draupadi, Bhishma and his companions - Kripa and Drona were listening in. They had stopped when Duryodhana had exclaimed loudly. 

Ashwathama who had noticed them, payed them no heed, as he responded to Ira's question, "You were whispering just a moment back, anuja."

"Oh," Ira gave a sheepish smile, "He is here." With that she turned towards the open lands with expectant eyes.

"I still don't understand how bhabhishree always knows whenever Vasusena is nearby," said Duryodhana with a perplexed voice. Ashwathama replied, "It's called heart to heart connection. Your thick head would take a few Yuga's to understand that."

Duryodhana glared at his other best-friend, while the sounds of hooves were nearing. In a few minutes two horses came into view. On one of them was Karna, illuminated by the sunlight even more and on the other hand was an exquisite female with the same sharp features of Karna which were tempered by a feminines. She jumped down and went straight towards Ira and hugged her tightly.

"Mata!" 

Ira stumbled slightly but Ashwathama made sure she did not fall down at the impact. 

She gave a soft laugh, "Pallavi, I missed you too child, but mind letting me go? I can't breathe."

Pallavi let her go with a sheepish smile, while Ira turned towards Karna, who had arrived by then, "Vrisha, I thought you would return straight to Anga?"

"I did too," nodded Karna, eyes affectionate towards Duryodhana and Ashwathama, both of whom gave him a bright smile, "But Gurudeva said I have unfinished business here. Pray tell Satya, what hurricane have you caused here?"

"Not only your dear wife," said Ashwathama with a grin, "Mata Gandhari had also teared everyone down. You missed a great show."

"We did?" blinked Pallavi, "I should have arrived earlier but Matamaha won't let me go soon at all. Then I know he arrived here. Pitashri said so on the way back. What happened?"

"Nothing too important love," said Ira, turning towards Vrisha, "I understand why Pitashri asked you to come back here. A debt is left unpaid yet."

Karna was surprised. All of them disappeared towards their tent, where Duryodhana changed into the new clothes, and the they sat down to speak of the happenings that both father-daughter had missed. On the other hand, the Pandavas and their entourage spoke regarding the debt still unpaid, which they were reminded off when Ira spoke about it. While Krishna stayed quiet in the matter, Abhimanyu was adamant on fulfilling his duty. It would be unrighteous if he did not. 

So with determination, the brave young man proceeded towards the tent where Vasusena was present. In there he asked the question regarding his debt, which Karna pondered over. He asked for one simple thing - "No one other than those who had already learned shall know of my true heritage. No one will know the name of the person who have birthed me. To the world, Rajmata Kunti will be known for her five sons and I, for my own deeds. That's all I ask."

Abhimanyu had a grim smile on his face but he had nodded, "As you wish, Angaraja." He was under no illusion that he could call the eldest of his father's brothers as an uncle. While he and probably the other children will not be treated harshly, the bad blood between brothers could not be forgotten within hours or even days or even years. At most, he could be cordial to his elder found relations. 

After all, he would learn just a day later exactly how correct he had been in his estimations. Maharani Ira had teared down his Pitamahi Kunti with a viciousness of a snake when his Pitamahi had gone to speak with his eldest uncle. His eldest aunt had refused to allow her to meet him. Her words still resounded in his ears - "You have no right to be called a mother of my husband. You have your five legitimate sons, of whose lives were a charity from my husband. Leave at once! Your presence suffocates me."

"I am your elder," Pitamahi Kunti had said insistently, "As his birth mother, I still have the right too -" His Pitamahi had been cut off by the cold laughter of Maharani Ira, who had retorted with a sharp voice, "Are you speaking of the rights you forfeited the moment you chose to flow him away? My father did not hesitate in killing his own mother on the orders of his father. I suggest you leave at once if you do not wish to suffer the wrath of Bhargavi. Unlike your eldest daughter-in-law, I am well accomplished in various astras. Dhristadyumna had been a good example, I hope. It should have gotten through your head, Rajmata, that neither you nor your family have any place in mine."

That had been hard to hear, but he had felt the ire in those words. He had seen what had happened to his uncle. How had she even used the Brahmastra in a contained way that it had only hurt his hand and nothing else? His pitamahi had been crushed at the utter refusal, but he could also see why Aunt Ira had been so adamant. She was protecting her own and the enemy happened to be their blood family. His lips quirked in an humorless smile. What has the world come to? Where one can't trust even their own family? He had decided then and there, that he would take his wife, Uttara (whom he knew would lose all her luster and happiness if he did not relocate) and unborn child and leave for Dwarka. He trusted his Mamashri (who had been rather morose for a few days) enough to allow him the reprieve he sought. His child will grow like he had. No way was he allowing his child or children anywhere near the curse that was the throne of Hastinapura. Now how was he supposed to convince his Mata to come with him?

He had also noticed the quick glances of his Mamashri, who also happened to be his Gurudeva. Having asked him about it, his Mamashri had given him a small sad smile but hadn't replied. Although, Abhimanyu could easily understand the problem. If chances came to motion (and how protective and possessive Aunt Ira was) then instead of killing his eldest uncle, his mamashri may have killed his senior avatar's daughter. He winced at that. Well, he can't take care of everything. His Narayana-avatar mamashri could take care of himself. He thought, although, with the reaction of his eldest Mamashri Balrama, it had hid too close to home. Didn't Lakshmana killed Ananta Shesha's daughter Sulochona's husband Indrajit? 

Meanwhile as times changed the remaining Kauravas spend their days peacefully and happily on Anga with no contact with their cousins, who ruled Hastinapura and Indraprastha.

While the next generation were civil to each other, the undercurrent of intense hatred and dislike, inherited from their parents could not be dissolved completely - although every children of the Pandavas had been polite to their older cousins, the children of their eldest uncle, if they ever met. Even though none of the children or grandchildren of Karna sought them out. 

"That was the to be expected," Abhimanyu mussed as he watched Parikshit play with his mother, Subhadra and his wife, Uttara. 

____________________________

Hi! Here is the final chapter of this book. Hope you enjoyed the entire fictional narrative.