13 - Face-Off.

In the camp of the Pandavas, the silence reigned. The shock of Kunti's words were finally registering amongst them. Amidst the adrenaline, the presence of those they considered enemies, the sudden appearance of Bhishma, all of them had postponed the confession of their mother. The psychology of postponing what one did not like or understand, but now, they've no such choice. 

It took them time to accept the relation they shared with one they had considered an enemy for several decades as Bhishma counselled them to not let this be deterrent to their wants. Krishna had suspiciously been silent when asked about his opinion. 

Yuddhisthira wasn't very pleased with such a case where he would take the throne instead of his elder brother but in front of the elders advise and his brothers' agreement, he acquiesced his head. On the other hand, his displeasure fell on his mother, who had stayed silent about this for a long while. He had easily understood the reason, having seen his mother's relief when he had agreed to take the throne instead of offering it to his newly relieved brother. He couldn't digest that his own mother had acted as the Queen with her own son. 

At the behest of Bhishma, a mini-court had been bought together amongst the wilderness of Kurukshetra. 

Gandhari had arrived back with Duryodhana, who had no idea what his mother had planned. When he complained about it to his wife and Ira, they had simply smiled saying that 'the pot of selflessness had become empty'. 

 Now, he had no idea what to say in the mini-court, but his mother had assured him that she will take over. The Kauravāgrajah didn't know what to understand from his mother's steely eyes as he sat down worriedly on the throne towards the side of the Kauravas. He wanted the counsel of his dearest friend, Vasusena, but he had disappeared to Mahendragiri. 

As Ashwathama, his another dearest friend sat down beside him, he said, "Where have you been, Guruputra?"

"Here and there," Ashwathama replied with a mysterious smile, "Worry less. Ira told me everything. I've a feeling this will be fun."

Suyodhana sent him an absurd look, "What are you talking off, Ashwathama? How can this be fun? The elders -"

"The elders will get what's coming to them," said Ashwathama whispering back, as he eyed the entering Pandavas and their entourage(which had both Krishna and Abhimanyu)"Worry less, Suyo. Trust Gandhari Maa. She won't let anything happen to you."

Duryodhana sighed, but nodded as the court assembled. It was filled with the kings supporting each sides. 

Dhritarashtra, who had also arrived did not take his customary seat in the throne of Hastinapura. Instead he joined his son, who looked bewildered. The King of Hastinapura had been suitably been informed by his wife of her decision and told strictly to follow them. Now what can a husband do in front his wife's ire? Nothing. Hence, Dhritarashtra simply sat down beside him eldest son, making GandharRaj sit beside him. Without Karna there, Ashwathama took the other side of Duryodhana. Both friends were uncomfortable without their third member, completing their triad. 

Bhishma entered with his two companions, Kripacharya and Dronacharya. Noticing Dhritarashtra seated with his son, he felt a kind of intuition that something big will happen - something he may not like. His nephew had never dared to support his son so publicly, even if everyone knew that the King of Hastinapura favored his sons over his nephews. He had also took note that the Queen of Anga was absent, but he didn't know whether he should be worried or happy.

The Grand Sire sat down in his seat asking the question that everyone had gathered to hear the answer too, "Duryodhana, what are your conditions in stopping this war?"

"I'll answer that question, Mahamahim," Gandhari's frozen voice was heard instead of Duryodhana's. 

Everyone glanced at the blindfolded Queen, who was accompanied by the wife of Duryodhana, KalingaKumari Bhanumati and the Maharani of Anga, Ira. Both the younger female seem at ease, while the Bhishma tensed, wondering the reasons of his eldest daughter-in-law coming to this court, since she was technically late.