Chapter Four

For that whole entire day, Isabela had been conflicted with her grandmother's intention for her to marry Mariano and unify their families together. Ever since she found out that she had a crush on Javier, there was no encouragement for her to consider accepting her feelings as there was much fear and doubt preventing her from confronting her Abuela and express her true feelings. 

Even disappointed of her decision to avoid her dear friend was quite painful for the twenty-two year old who was not at all prepared to marry Mariano Guzmán. Isabela secluded herself in her room in preparation for that evening; to make a sacrifice in order to satisfy her grandmother and help her family grow. There wasn't anything she wouldn't do for her family. But for her treasured friendship with Javier on the line, it really broke her. 

Throughout the day, Isabela remained cooped up in her room on her own volition. At some point she left her room but for a short moment in order to retrieve a glass of water. When she returned to her room, she was greeted by the unwelcoming presence of flower-based mannequins that represented her exact looks and body. 

It disgusted her. 

The closest one to her she approached and raised her hand up to the had of the mannequin and demolished it with a simple brush of said hand. Flowers sprinkled to the floor - a floor design made from flowers - where Isabela began to obliterate the other four flower mannequins. Isabela then took up an idea that sparked in her mind to create one of exact proportion to her dear friend, Javier and one to compare to Mariano. 

As the black-haired woman finished sculpting Mariano's flower mannequin, her fingers delicately controlled the exact deign of the mannequin whereas in regards to Javier's, her gaze lingered a lot longer at his face - something she managed to sculpt off of her best imagination of his face and his eyes. She found herself infatuated with his model. Only then did she come to realise that she really did care about Javier more than she imagined. 

It was in the heat of the moment that Isabela found courage and passion which blocked out the negative thoughts and self-doubt that originated from her grandmother. Isabela rushed out of her room with the intention of locating her friend when as she made her way towards the stairs she heard her cousin call her. 

"Isabela, your boyfriend's here!" Camillo yelled musically mid shape-shift, followed by hearty laughter in Mariano's voice. She noticed her cousin shape-shift into her date and flex his muscle. 

Isabela rolled her eyes and she diverted her course from leaving via the front door to entering the dining room where she assisted her family in preparing for dinner. By the time dinner was prepared, both Madrigal and the Guzmán's had assembled into the room and took their places. Isabela seated herself reluctantly between her little sister and her date, who in turn was more focused on the conversation between his mother and Alma. 

"Time to eat!" Abuela Alma announced. "The Guzmán's and the Madrigal's together; will be so good for the Encanto." 

"Yes! Then let's hope tonight is not a horrible disaster!" Señorita Guzmán agreed, sounding rather enlivened by the event that she was so cocksure would go accordingly. 

"To a perfect night! Salud (cheers)!" 

Everyone sang back in unison. "Salud (cheers)!" 

And so, everyone indulged in having dinner. The subtle glances from her boyfriend left Isabela uncomfortably but visibly cool and calm as she nibbled on cooked corn. As her family indulged in their own conversations, things took a wild turn when members of Isabela's family on the opposite side of where she sat began to act bizarrely. Her aunty became the most obvious due to the thunder that spawned over the table entire table.