Part 9

A few weeks later, after you and Camilo had been dating for long enough to be comfortable with each other, you and him met in a meadow for a picnic. "Hey, Camilo!" You called when you saw him, "Guess who's birthday it is tomorrow?" He ran over and jumped onto the picnic blanket, landing on his knees. "Um, Mariano?" He guessed playfully, shape shifting into Isabela's meathead boyfriend. You laughed. "Guess again." He pretended to be confused. "Oh! Tio Augustin!" He turned into his accident-prone uncle. You shook your head, giggling. He flopped back on the ground in faux bewilderment. You crawled over beside him and he pulled your arm so that you lay on your back beside him. "Wait." He said, sitting up and holding his pointer finger in the air. He looked back down at you. "Was it me?" You giggled. "Maybe." He laughed and lay back down beside you. "Feliz cumpleanos, Cami." He propped himself up on one elbow, staring down at you. "Say that again." He said. "Um, feliz cumpleanos? If you're having trouble translating, it means happy birthday." He shook his head. "No, after that." You looked up at him. "Cami?" He nodded. "I'm gonna need you to call me that from now on." He said, his tone once again light and full of laughter. "Okay." You said, your voice full of laughter as well. You liked the jokes and laughing, but you also liked that Camilo had a serious side, that your relationship wasn't all just a joke to him.

Later that day, while Camilo was busy with a deliberately large group of kids to entertain, you and the Madrigals planned the most spectacular fourteenth birthday for Camilo that you all could come up with. There would be all of his favorite music, dancing, and enough food to feed an army (or just a hungry Camilo and a few other guests - if they were lucky). Isabela grew a bunch of yellow flowers to decorate, Luisa built a dance floor, Dolores made sure all of the instruments were tuned to perfection, Pepa kept the weather as clear as she could, Felix and Augustin helped Luisa by handing her wood and nails, and Julieta was hard at work in the kitchen. You and Mirabel were in charge of overseeing the whole event, and also watching after Antonio. You would have left little Tonito with his brother, but Camilo might have been suspicious his mother not being able to watch him, and also you were all afraid Toni might spill the secret by accident. He was three, after all, some things just slip out of toddlers' mouths. Anyways, you and Mirabel played jaguars with him, and frequently one of you (usually Mirabel) would run off quickly to tell someone what they were doing wrong.

That night, you and Mirabel went shopping so that you could find the perfect dress to wear for Camilo's party. You browsed for hours, before finally settling on one with a yellow-and-white ruffled top and a yellow skirt that stopped just above your ankles. In white stitching, the skirt also had the same pattern on it as Camilo's ruana. You decided you'd wear your hair curly with half-up pigtails. You also got some yellow dancing shoes. After shopping, you went home and got in bed. As you settled in, you couldn't wait to see what Cami's birthday would bring.

Author's Note:

Hey y'all! Sorry if there were any typos in here. I don't have a lot of time for editing and when I get really excited I start writing in first person instead of second person. Oops. Also, sorry if I'm boring y'all with all the happy happy happy no conflict stuff. Don't worry. Bruno had a vision that drama is just a few chapters away. Thanks for reading! :)