23: The First Crack in This Glass Heart

SPOILER ALERT
SPOILERS AHEAD ON TOMURA'S PAST
SPOILER ALERT IN GENERAL, ACTUALLY

Edit: Apparently, the contents of the chapter repeated. I'm so sorry, Wattpad is a heavy site so my mistakes don't load fast enough for me to see!

***

You escaped the chaos of the awards ceremony and made a beeline for the locker room.

"Cerebral anemia, vertigo, hematemesis, and syncope. I knew my quirk isn't useful for long drawn-out fights, yet I prolonged my battle with Shoto Todoroki. I need to improve my speed and stamina. Relying on my exoskeleton is unacceptable..." you rambled as you reached your locker.

You dedicated the past weeks to improving the synchronizator, and in that process you neglected your diet and training, including extending the limit of your quirk. You need to be better. [Name] [Lastname] should've won this festival.

You twisted the dial and a mop of black fur greeted you.

"Arf!" yelped an ebony puppy from inside the metal box. His black collar displayed the blue numerals "002" on the tag.

"Why are you here?"

He blinked.

"Don't play dumb. You're supposed to stay in the crowd with One."

He whined, lowering his head.

"You're lucky you're cute."

His tail propelled behind him. "Arf!"

You reached inside your bag and found fifteen missed calls from Himiko. Six from Tetsuya.

"Tsk."

Two rubbed his tiny head on your knuckles, whining.

"You did well for your first mission," you praised him, strapping on your watch. "What do you want for a reward?"

He leapt into your arms, squirming to lick your cheek. Two was clingy. He also insisted on calling you "mother" and its derivatives, though you didn't see him as a son, you let him do as he pleased.

Two is an artificial construct whose main genetic code comes from a fellow baptized by the villain world as Tomura Shigaraki, the creep who wore disembodied hands for a costume. You say "main" because, technically, his body houses several other DNA. Including the Nomu, you had five specimens from the criminals that attacked U.S.J. However, you didn't have the time, or the energy, or a fuck to spare to mold five new weapons, so you drew lots and ended up with Tenko Shimura's clone. After rewriting the quirks of his fellow samples into his DNA (excluding the Nomu, whose genes were poorly coded), you had them recycled.

You didn't know the history of his gene provider until you drew Two's specimen code from the ballot and had S.I.S.A. run an extensive background check.

Tenko Shimura was the provider's legal name. He killed his mother and sister and father, but you were more interested in his grandmother, Nana Shimura, a former pro hero who mentored Toshinori Yagi, also known as All Might.

You stared at the puppy in your arms. His wagging tail told you that he was eager to say his reward once you got home. His big eyes always looked up to you in amazement. Izuku Midoriya was prone to the same expression when he looked at you and at All Might.

"I suppose this is what people call fate," you mumbled.

Two tilted his head, then he resumed kissing your face.

"Calm down."

You heard footsteps and unzipped your backpack, where Two hid.

You speedwalked out of the room before Momo or the other girls could start a conversation. On your way out, you spotted Mr. Aizawa talking with Hitoshi. When your teacher saw you, he handed Hitoshi a card and went the other way.