4: I Am the Flash of Fast Learners

The family estate stood far from the rest of civilization and covered enough land for a theme park. Past through the towering steel gates that guarded the property was miles and miles of well-kept grass. We spent another twenty minutes in the limo before it reached the front doors of a glazed manor.

"I actually live here?" I whispered. My parents and I used to live in the center of a city, then a small safehouse, but never in a mansion.

This one seemed to be bigger than two football fields put together.

"Welcome home, milady" Servants dressed in gray suits lined either sides of the path and bowed as we entered. One had green skin, five had unnatural hair colors, this girl had a tail and one elderly gentleman had dog ears.

The interior was illuminated by sunlight passing through the spotless glass walls. White and black dominated the space, with very few specks of red and blue furniture to add some life to the inside.

"The young lady will be spending the rest of the day studying." Tetsuya announced.

A girl stepped forward, "Yes, sir. We have prepared her bedroom and all her materials."

"Very good."

We got on an elevator behind the glass staircase. Strangely, instead of one button, Tetsuya pressed multiple: 0-3-2-0-1-4. The panel glowed gold, unfolded and revealed a retina scanner and a keycard slot. He reached inside his jacket and pulled out a sleek black card, pushed it in the slot, then bent down to have his eye examined.

The elevator pinged twice then moved.

I wrung my hands together, "That's a lot of trouble for reaching one floor."

He stayed quiet.

The elevator doors slid open and I took it upon myself to wheel in. I gawked. It was not just any floor, it was an entire room. I could tell in an instant that it was mine. The intricate French walls, the sheer pink curtains and the furry mauve carpet were a far cry from the rest of the estate. A crystal chandelier glowed warmly from above.

"This is your bedroom. Make yourself comfortable, you will be spending most of your time here. As for your quirk, we will have to wait for the doctors before you can start experimenting with it. For now, we need you to finish the worksheets, your tutors will be coming over tomorrow."

"'Answer each question to the best of your ability. Yaoyorozu's daughter never had a grade average lower than 95. At least try to get to the top ten of the examinees.' Your father's word, not mine." Tetsuya said, pushing up his glasses as he read from his tablet.

I rolled my eyes, I do not intend to have my intelligence compared to someone I've never even met. Besides, what's there to be afraid of, "no lower than 95"? Don't make me laugh.

"Bathroom is over there connected to your closet. I'll be handling your mother's appointments so if you need anything, use the intercomm on your nightstand to call for a servant." And with that the he left.

A golden-framed painting of a pink ballerina slid over the elevator doors. Rather than its mistress, it seemed like I was a prisoner in this house.

I sighed and glanced around. One side of the room was an actual rock climbing wall with pink stepping stones, it was the only means to reach the second level of the room, which resembled a miniature library. The other half of the wall below the second level was lined with a mirror and a barre for ballet. Talk about overachiever. If she didn't struggle with schoolwork, I imagine this girl would've been the perfect young woman.

A stack of high school textbooks sat next the computer monitor on the marble desk. I snatched a book and flipped through the pages. "Advanced Calculus," yeah right, this was basic stuff.