4

The look on Kyle's face when he almost smashed the bow against the table was enough to confirm everyone's suspicions that something happened inside that kitchen.

"What did she do?" Amber was quick to ask with a sigh.

"Amber, I like you, and you make Ricky happy, so I don't want to offend you in any way, shape, or form. But your sister is such an annoying and mean little bitch!" He hissed.

Amber just nodded. She couldn't exactly defend her sister right now because she knew Kyle was right. But she also knew Jade was more than just that if she decided to give them a chance. That was just a persona she created to protect herself from hurting even more. This world doesn't take pity on anyone and you do what you think you need to do to survive.

"Chase, can you go back there and make sure she doesn't do much damage? We were talking about yesterday and apparently, she doesn't hate you." That was enough to put a smug grin on his face as he nodded and went inside. "She also thought you and Carter were cool but I think it would be good for Chase's ego to not know that before going in."

"Bullshit. She hates us for no reason."

Amber sighed again. All she could think was how to explain her sister to him without breaking her boundaries. But thankfully Maya arrived through the outside gate and pitched in the conversation from what she had overheard.

"She had a rough past. I'm assuming you guys are talking about Jade?" Maya went to hug her niece and Ricky, that had just come back from firing up the grill. "Just like you did." She pointed to Kyle. "That is no excuse but her principal held her back during junior year. If he had let her catch up by herself and take the exams she missed she would have scored high but he decided that it would be better if she redid the year. So, she couldn't graduate with her friends. And the first part of this school year she was left there by herself, having to deal with classmates that would pitty her to her face just to slut-shame her by her back. She just needs some time to realize she's not there anymore. And I know this is not your job and it's not entirely fair to ask you but please, give her a shot, don't give up on her already. Once you get to know her you see it was worth it, right?"

Maya turned to look at Amber and Ricky for their answers. Ricky nodded and Amber was about to say something but the glare she received from her aunt was enough to put her smart mouth back and change her words.

"Yeah, most of the time." That was the best Amber could give.

"Just-you know, remember the girl forcing us to dance in the middle of the living room a few minutes ago," Ricky added, trying to help his baby mama.

"Yeah! She is the life of the party! She's carrying- her love language is quality time, touching, and gifts. And I don't know why I'm telling you this. But back in New York she would always hang out with her friends and make things for them and there was also Ty, but they were always fucking so I guess that's why they were so touchy with each other, but the others- they were always hugging and you would always find her laying on top of Bea's back and playing with someone's hair. She gives the best scalp massages and, hm, I- Someone stop me, please. I-I'm just-"

"You're rambling." Ricky pointed out the obvious.

"Well, no shit I'm rambling." Amber scoffed and shook her head. "But thank you." And she gave him a quick peck.

"The women in your family are all that confusing, Miss Maya?" Kyle turned to her with a puzzled face.

"Kyle for the last time, stop calling me Miss outside school. And, "she took a deep breath, "Yes... A little bit. But I'm going to blame that on pregnancy hormones so I can feel better."

Suddenly the door busted open and out walked Chase with Jade over his shoulder and Carter behind filming everything as he tried hard not to laugh.

"I WILL NOT TAKE IT BACK. NOW PUT. ME. DOWN!" Jade screaming while banging on his back.

"Sure. And you'll land right inside the pool. Now take it back." And everyone followed them trying to understand what was happening.

"Me coloca no chão ou eu juro por Deus que você vai se arrepender!" {Put me down or I swear to God you'll regret it!}

"And we're getting closer to the water." He answered in a singsong voice.

"Fine! Fine. Ok! I'm sorry. I should not have offended your taste buds, called you a terrible dancer, and refuse to translate the things I called you in Portuguese. But in my defense, they weren't all that nice so you really wouldn't like to know, and guess I take them back too if it will make you put me down." Jade raced the words out. "On the ground, not the water." She was quick to add.

"See, wasn't that hard." Chase finally put her down before turning around and realizing the small crowd that formed around them. "We were bonding. I like her. Were you filming this whole time?" He turned to Carter who nodded with a huge smile on his face. "Can you send it to me?"

"It's on my Instagram Stories. Let me just save it and I'll send it, but I tagged you. I didn't tag Jade though because I don't know her handle." Carter opened his phone again to do just what he said and pretended not to hear Kyle's fake cough a "Bullshit."

Carter wasn't at school during lunch on Monday because he was with his parents right before they left for Antarctica again, but he showed up the next day and met Jade. The second he figured out her name on a class they had together, he went on a deep Instagram dive and found her account. He was just waiting for the subject to pop up so she could tell him her handle and he could follow her without making his stalking session obvious. And also because it was private and he didn't want to deal with knowing she would probably deny his follow request.

"Alright." Jade sighed. "I'm going to the grill."

"What? No. The guests will want to meet you too." Maya complained already pulling her back. "When your parents first started dating, your father wanted to impress mine so hard that he had us over on their first New Year's together for a barbecue. We were so in love with the food that we made it a tradition every month and eventually I learned to manage the grill just as good as he used to." She pushed her down to a chair. "I'll take over."

"Then I'll go shower and get rid of the smell of seasonings." Jade quickly got up and left to busy her mind, trying to avoid dealing with memories and daydreamings about what life would be if he still was here.