01. panic

REESE SAT in the auditorium, her eyes on the teachers as they spoke about how blessed they were to teach the kids in her class

REESE SAT in the auditorium, her eyes on the teachers as they spoke about how blessed they were to teach the kids in her class. she watched in silence, clapping every so often as the kids crossed the stage to get a piece of paper that determined all of their education up to this point.

she watched as heather nill walked across the stage, then bishop moore, and natalie williams. she was proud of her friends, but the one thing she couldn't help to notice was they all passed a sign, that read
"we miss you jimmy and abby."

everyone in town knew about panic, they knew about it since they were old enough to understand what the game was...the seniors, after they graduate high school play this game, a series of challenges.

the one rule? don't panic.

——————————🤍—————————————

reese stood by the tree with her dad, he was trying to talk to her but she was too distracted. watching families take pictures or congratulate their kids.

she was slightly upset by the fact the only person she had here was her father. she watched as one of her classmates passed by, he looked new. he was skinny, tall, brown hair, and for some reason looked like he had an annoyed expression on his face.

"reese did you hear me?" her dad said, looking at her while holding her diploma. she stopped looking at her unknown classmate and quickly looked up at her dad.

"no dad, i'm sorry, what up?" she said, adjusting her hair and crossing her arms.

"i'm proud of you." he said "but i have to know if you are playing panic?" he asked in a hushed tone making sure no one could hear him but her.

reese rolled her eyes, her dad had asked her this question for days. the same question. and her answer? it never changed.

"for the millionth time, i'm not." reese said not making eye contact with her dad. her dad nodded his head and started walking to his car as reese followed him.

truth is, reese was planning on playing panic. though she knew nobody would really support the idea, she still wanted to do it. it gave her a sense of freedom.

——————————🤍—————————————

the mix of sweaty teens and alcohol filled the air. reese didn't mind it, kids were having fun. she walked around with a beer in her hand finally finding some of her friends sitting down next to them.

"hey party peopleee" she jokingly said to her friends, receiving heys back and getting comments that they were surprised she decided to come.

"i have a toast...no more gym shorts!!" heather said, causing reese to laugh as they all toasted to to that.