CHAPTER 6

Amity had used the grand clock that hung on the top rail of the corridor opening to tell when it was time to wake the princess up. It looked like it was made of the finest gold, which mayhap it was. She was supposed to wake the princess up when the minute hand of the clock hit thirty and the hour hand was eight.

Since there had been no one before her—which Amity found peculiar, Amity would just have to learn about the princess’s routine for her highness herself. The sandy haired royalty had seemed nice when Amity had encountered her the previous week.

Though Amity knew better than to judge a human’s character after one encounter.

Amity knocked on the magnificently large oak doors that served as the barrier between the princess’s room and the corridor and waited. She did not have to wait long as right after the last knock sounded, the door swung open and there stood the princess with a curious and expectant look on her face.

The royal maiden’s face carved animatedly into a smile when she realised who stood at the door. Amity did not have the energy to return the smile at that early in the morning. The princess did not seem to mind not having the smile reciprocated as she grabbed onto Amity’s hand and dragged her into the room, the door closing behind them by itself.

The room was huge and everything one would expect a princess’s room to be. The four-poster bed that was engulfed in crystals and laid and decorated with everything lavender, from the silk sheets to the incredibly fluffy looking pillows.

There was a big wardrobe that covered the entire left side of the room and bed and then on the right, a vanity table set up with what looked like a mirror—covered at that moment so Amity was not certain what it was, placed perfectly on it. If it was a mirror, it was without a doubt the largest one Amity had ever seen. The entire set up was lavender as well. From the chandeliers that hang up the four-poster bed to the connecting elegant bathroom, this was undoubtedly the room of a princess.

As both girls got to the bed the princess sat on it and stared up at Amity. Amity stared back, which she was not supposed to, but the princess did not look like she cared. Her highness still had traces of the smile on her face as she spoke “I did not think you would actually be assigned to be my handmaid”.

Amity thought that meant the princess may have had a had time describing her to Miss Devine but as the princess continued, “Apart from my governess when I was much younger, I’ve never had someone assigned to me before” Amity became more and more wary.

It was strange. The princess was royalty. Directly descending from the king and queen themselves, not from a concubine or out of wedlock. Even children of concubines in the past most definitely had a group of hand maids and guards at their service. The current king had no concubines. The first in history.

But the princes had handmaids and guards so why did the princess not have any?

Amity made sure that the questions were not visible on her face. It was not her place to ask questions and to be answered to.

The princess looked like she was expecting questions though and she voiced it out. “Do you not want to know why?”

Amity shook her head. “It is not my place to question the princess, the palace or anything that happens in it, your highness”.

The princess gave an answering head shake “You can ask me anything though, Amity” She pronounced Amity’s name in a questioning form.

Amity gave another head shake “Your highness, I am grateful for your graciousness but to make sure I stay in my place, it is best that I follow the rules that the servants of the palace have been abiding by for years”. If it had been any other royal, Amity may have been labelled rude, but the princess just looked forlorn, like she had been scolded.