Chapter 47

—Draco POV—

Neither of us wanted to go to sleep, yet we still laid side-by-side in the bed with the light off, staring at the ceiling. Whether one of us or the other drifted off and woke up again at some point is not for me to say. Occasionally, Harry or I would shift in the bed, causing the sheets to rustle beneath us because even in the draftiest house in the Wizarding World, we didn't bother getting under them.

We made an effort, I think, at the very least. We'd all tried making small talk after the Order meeting which only resulted in sick stomachs. Harry and I attempted dinner, but neither of us could bring ourselves to eat it. We simply sat at the table letting it get cold. The silence was too strong for words.

It was nearly midnight now, and my arm hadn't stung. The sinking realization of why only made me feel worse.

Harry, despite displaying the outwards behaviors that he does when he regresses or hides away, such as not eating, or not speaking, didn't do anything else to show for it.

Now, at some point, I imagine I'd decided to rest my eyes.

It began with a slight sting. So subtle I didn't know where it stung. I breathed through it. It's just my body trying to test if I'm ready to sleep.

Then there was a tingle in the back of my head, and a push through my temples, creeping through my brain. I squirmed slightly. Why does this feel familiar? What is this? The ceiling began to sway as though I were suddenly submerged in water. The sting became more prominent. It was my arm. Stop. No. My eyes widened as I turned my head and the room got darker. I could no longer clearly see Harry beside me. Stop. No. He turned and said something, but his voice was muddled. My heart was racing.

"We have your son. Come to the forbidden forest if you want to see him again."

"-you okay?"

I gasped as the room suddenly fell normal again. My eyes were blown wide as my chest heaved.

I hadn't felt legilimency in over a decade.

My hand went to my heart as I regained control of my breathing and tried to control the tremble that had overtaken me. I sat up. Harry did so as well.

"What happened? Are you okay?"

"They have Scorpius."

"What?" Harry's voice was that of alarm. I blinked, still digesting what I'd just said.

The fever in which I jumped out of bed as I realized fully what had just happened was enough to send Harry running downstairs, accusing any clothes and putting them on as he did so. My ears began to ring and the sound of Harry setting off the floo network was only a faint buzz. I opened the drawer feverishly, grabbing my own set of fresh clothes and changing as fast as possible.

I felt the sting go off in my arm again. Apparate.

"Harry!" I ran down the stairs, colliding with Harry at the same time that Ron and Hermione stumbled out of the fireplace.

"I'm going to apparate," I said breathlessly. "They're calling me. I need to go now."

Ron began "We'll go with you-"

"No!" I all but shouted. Ron and Hermione took a step back. Everything that was happening was enough to make me dizzy. "I'm not going to let you-"

"I'm not letting you run headfirst into danger without me." Harry's tone was resolute. I swallowed hard.

"America and France are under attack," insisted Hermione. "We need to gather the Order."

"The order won't be enough to spread across countries, Hermione-"