Chapter 65

—Harry POV—

It was with a hard resolve that I began the day, taking advantage that my body had not decided to act up on me in the middle of the night. I got up early and made breakfast for the family. Scorpius was the first to find me cooking. Then Draco, and finally Teddy.

When Scorpius had found me he raised an eyebrow, then gave a tentative "good morning."

"Good morning, Scor. How'd you sleep?"

"I slept well, and you?"

"I did, too."

He didn't speak more, though it looked like he had a world's worth of things to say.

When Draco came down he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind and planted a kiss on the side of my neck, before resting his chin on my shoulder.

"You're alright today?"

"Brilliant."

"Mm, that's good. Love you."

"I love you, too."

I was a bit glad that Draco was still half asleep. Ever since I asked him to wait outside while I spoke with Dr. Gilroy yesterday, he'd been too careful around me. He kept asking if I was alright and reminding me that I could trust him, too. It was good to have these few moments of soft domesticity as opposed to the careful treading around my health and questioning whether I was actually alright.

When Teddy came down, I was about to serve. He seemed happy to hear that I'd cooked today. He smiled and said he was glad to see I was up to it. I took deep breaths, just like Dr. Gilroy suggested, smiling and answering Teddy with an affirmative, trying not to let it get me down that it was clear he meant 'I'm glad you got out of bed today'. Because that's not something Teddy should have to worry about.

After breakfast I went back upstairs, getting dressed in a t-shirt and shorts, ensuring that nothing was amiss before I headed downstairs and turned on the floo to wait.

I had to meet with Ron today.

We ended up going to a park just down the street from Grimmauld Place, just walking.

"So, how are you, Ron?"

Ron pursed his lips, eyes trained a little too low to the ground. He inhaled deeply.

"I'm... managing. I'm alright, I think."

"That's good," I responded. A sort of silence fell over us as we walked. The memories of all that'd occurred were heavy with us.

"And you? How's..."

I swallowed. That's not how I wanted this conversation to go.

"I'm managing, as well. As much as I can."

"And you think things are alright?"

I bit my lip and sighed, glancing away and catching sight of a woman walking her dog.

"How's the family?"

He didn't respond right away. Part of me hoped he didn't notice how obviously I'd dodged his question, though I knew that was improbable.

"Managing."

There was no hiding the way Ron's one-word response was clipped around the edges. The silence fell around us yet again, and mentally I kicked myself for not being more present with the Weasleys. Another part of me wondered if now was really a good time to do it, or if I'd only be setting them up for more hurt.

A sharp inhale caused me to turn to Ron again.

"How's, er..." he gestured up to his ears and made an odd motion with his hand, glancing at me.