Chapter 63

—Draco POV—

Ron and I got to the room right after George shot himself. Just before he collapsed onto the floor with a thud that seemed to shake the house to its core. I sucked in a breath at the sight before me. George's face was not his anymore. The gruesome image of his mangled figure with two holes through it and blood everywhere made my stomach turn. The blood on the walls fell slowly.

I turned away almost as quickly as I saw it all, a strange noise leaving me in reaction to the sight. Ron fell to his knees and did not move, or make a single sound after that. Then, I saw Harry, stiff as a board and trembling, blood splattered across his face and clothing, eyes closed, breaths coming in short and stilted. My first move was to bend down and get him by the shoulders, dragging him out from where George had landed across his feet.

I need to get Harry out of here. He doesn't need this right now. He shouldn't be here. He's already seen too much.

Variations of the same few things kept playing in my mind all while pointedly avoiding the horror-drawn figure on the ground, getting Harry to stand and holding him close. He wrapped his arms around my torso tight, face buried into my shoulder. I ignored the characteristics squelch of blood that came with his actions.

"It's okay. It's okay. I know." I passed my hand around his upper back firmly, for comfort. "Let's get you out of here, yeah? Let's-" a strangled sound came from his throat, causing me to let go and look at him. My mind kept nagging at the part of me that kept emphasizing the blood on him and where it came from.

"Herm- Hermione. We need to get Hermione... Ron-" He turned to see Ron, pale-faced, eyes squeezed firmly shut, and pinching the bridge of his nose with his fingers, trying very hard to keep himself together, though it was obvious he was very nearly going to fail at it within the next couple of minutes. Harry blinked several times, his breathing still erratic.

"We- send her a Patronus. Tell her... tell her what- she needs to- we need... Mungo's, Aurors?" He was speaking a lot louder than necessary, his voice wavering between too loud and not loud enough. I narrowed my eyes slightly. Harry was looking at the floor as he spoke, chest still heaving and he himself looking in a state of shock. I put my hands on his shoulders, getting his attention.

"I'll communicate with her. But we need to get you home, cleaned up." He blinked rapidly again, not responding. I grasped his upper arm. "I'm going to apprate us, now." He didn't respond, eyes trained on the floor. I furrowed my brows, waving my spare hand in front of his eyes so he looked at my face.

"I'm going to apparate us home, okay?" He hesitated for a moment, looking at me intently, then nodded, and with a swirl and a pop, we landed in our bedroom. I took out my wand.

"Expecto Patronum" My Raven appeared before me in brilliant white wisps.

"Go to Hermione Granger. Tell her that she is needed urgently at George Weasley's house, and to call Aurors to the house as well."

My throat closed up as I thought to tell her that George shot himself, sending a display of blood and brains throughout his bedroom, collapsing on top of Harry, and giving the three of us what might be the most terrifying image of our lives.

"Tell her to proceed with caution. Tell her that Ron needs her right now. And tell her that I am dealing with Harry, to not worry about him."

My raven flew swiftly through the air, its presence lifting a little bit of weight off my chest before it was gone. Harry stood silently by the bed, his gaze following the raven as it left. I turned to our dresser, grabbing fresh clothing, and then reached out and took his hand, leading him to our bathroom.