Chapter 2- Camilo Madrigal

I found a small inn and checked into it. I handed her the money I had.

"Where are you coming from, senorita?" the woman asked.

"Far away from here," I said, trying my best not to look out of place.

"Enjoy your stay," she called as I walked away.

The town stable was able to hold Ezra. A small motel would do for me.

The city was peaceful at night. I went out after dark to get some food. I was covered in a cloak, hiding my face. No one needed to know who I was. Or see me. What if my parents came looking for me here? People would point me out in a heartbeat.

"Where are you going at this hour?"

I turned. It was me. The person changed back into a boy and covered my mouth from screaming. He was an inch taller than me, but he seemed to tower over me. He removed his hand when I recovered from my heart skipping a beat.

"I needed food," I breathed.

"It's evening," the boy said.

"Hey, did you just shape-shift?" I asked, trying to get the topic off of me.

"You're not from here. I'm Camilo." He smiled at me. "Camilo Madrigal."

"(Y/n) (L/n)."

Camilo walked with me through the market. We talked for hours as we got food, Camilo getting greetings and smiles as we walked. I had taken off my hood at the beginning of the hours we spent together.

"Mi madre's going to freak," Camilo said, noticing the rising moon.

"Go," I assured him.

He bowed playfully. "Until next time, Senorita (L/n)."

"Good night, Senor Madrigal," I replied.

He smiled and ran off, disappearing into the night. I returned to the inn, carrying the bags with a smile. If there was one Madrigal here, imagine how many more there were in Encanto. The thought thrilled me. People just like me, all in one small community.

I met the shape-shifting stranger a few weeks later. A band played instruments in the square while people danced around. I loomed in the shadows, watching. A woman was dancing with her little brother. I saw a glimpse of Camilo as he shape-shifted. I smiled. He was startling most of the men when he turned into girls.

I was pushed into the dancing crowd by someone, making me drop my bag onto the cobblestone. I stood in the middle, startled. Someone took my hand and twirled, making my skirt flare. I smiled when I saw it was Camilo. We were perfectly in step. The band finished, and people clapped. Camilo smiled at me as the crowd dispersed.

"Hey, stranger," Camilo said, bowing and kissing my hand.

"Hey back, stranger," I replied, blushing slightly from the gesture.

Another song started. Camilo followed the steps of the dance, but was able to talk.

"So, where are you from?" Camilo asked.

"Venezuela," I admitted. "Small town. Wouldn't know it."

"Well, I would like to know it," Camilo commented.

"Another time, maybe." I smiled as he twirled me.

As soon as the song ended, a woman rushed over to us. She was holding a baby.

"Camilo, vamos! Mama is expecting us to be home soon," the woman said. She looked at me. "Who is this?"

"I'm (Y/n)." I looked at her uncertainly.

"Delores. I'm sorry to cut this little dance short, but Camilo and I need to get home before another storm comes." Dolores walked away. "Camilo!"

"Coming." Camilo rolled his eyes. His smile and eyes lingered on me before running to catch up to his sister.