Chapter 12- Enhanced Hearing

"Hearing a mile away is a blessing and a curse," Dolores began.

"I can agree," I said as I heard so many conversations and a baby crying on top of it all.

"Controlling it requires focus," Dolores continued.

I closed my eyes as I honed in on the hearing. The talking and crying was getting softer and softer. I took a deep breath of relief. Then Dolores's voice faded out. Then my own.

I let go, but only slightly. I opened my eyes. I hear like I could with the power deactivated.

"How much have you adapted?" Dolores asked.

"A lot. I go into each of the caves whenever one power is stronger than the other," I explained.

We finished in time for lunch. I felt like something was missing. I ate dinner while talking with Pepa. She enjoyed my company, and I was grateful. She adored me with Camilo.

A thunderstorm came in the afternoon. Pepa said it was natural instead of her powers. We had to stay inside because of the severity. Camilo ran to my room and cuddled with me while the rain pounded on the exterior of our house.

The rain didn't pass when it was time for dinner. Camilo and I walked out of my room. I looked around in confusion. I held my hand out to feel the rain. It was harsher than normal. Camilo and I sighed, wishing we could control it. But messing with nature was not what our powers were made for, so we needed to let it pass.

"How long do you think until the rain will pass?" I asked my boyfriend.

"I think it goes until tomorrow, according to what I heard," Camilo admitted.

Camilo and I hid in his room. The quarters changed based on his mood. Right now, it was a mix of yellow and red, a light orange connecting the two. Camilo threw a couple of things off of the table next to his bed before he found an elastic band. He tied his hair up into a high ponytail.

I blushed when he looked back at me. His curls perfectly framed his face. He was angelic. He took off his ruana, leaving him only in the white shirt. I wondered how long it took him to master tying his hair up. It took me a few years to learn how to properly tie up my hair without getting my hair yanked out immediately after.

"You're adorable," Camilo teased.

"Yeah, yeah. You're even cuter."

I kissed him softly. Mateo knocked on my door. "Sis, can you come help me with this?"

I quickly helped Mateo with the chore before the town headed in for the night. I then yawned as I walked into mi casita. Camilo walked into the house as soon as I made it to my door. I waved at him tiredly. "Good night, mi amor."

Camilo looked at me in confusion. "Good night?"

"Yeah."

I changed into the soft pale pink nightgown I had. Camilo knocked on the door. I opened it in confusion. Camilo ran up the ladder and tackled me onto the bed. I giggled as he laid his head on my chest, letting me play with the soft, velvety curls. A few minutes later, I fell asleep with Camilo's arms wrapped around me.

He made sure I was asleep before joining me in slumber soon after.