Chapter 5- Second Date

Ever since the date, I was declared Camilo Madrigal's girlfriend first by the townspeople, then by the boy I called my boyfriend. He was sweeter than I could ever imagine. He knew how to cheer me up on the days I missed my brother. Whether it was shapeshifting or just holding me until he needed to be somewhere else.

Camilo knocked on the door to my new home at sunset. He had a picnic basket.

"What's this?" I asked.

"A picnic to get away from everything," Camilo explained. He held out his hand. "Join me?"

"I will never say no."

Camilo walked with me, twirling me twice through the walk. He joked around, even shape-shifted to imitate his sister. We both had stupid grins on our face and laughed as we walked to the forest.

Camilo laid out the blanket stowed away in the basket, letting it flutter in the soft wind before laying it on the grass. Camilo had packed a variety of foods, from arepas to magdalenas to churros.

Once we were finished, we laid on the blanket and stared at the stars. Camilo wrapped an arm around me and pulled me closer. I laid my head on his shoulder, finding his embrace warm in the cool night. His hand rested on my arm and he rubbed his thumb over my thumb.

We smiled at each other once we looked at each other at the same time. His eyes lingered on my lips. Was he hesitating? The great Camilo Madrigal was hesitating. He took a deep breath in through his nose. I waited patiently. Maybe he was waiting for the right moment.

"May I?" Camilo whispered.

In an instant, I softly placed my lips on his. He kissed back immediately. The hand that was on my arm moved so it wasn't around me, but cupping my cheek. His lips were so soft. The kiss deepened, but only lasted a few seconds.

I didn't know how I fell in love with him. Maybe it was when he first kissed my hand. Maybe it was when he smiled at me like I was a goddess. But I knew I was deeply in love with him. I hoped he was in love with me the same way. We smiled foolishly at each other once we pulled away.

The way he stared at me afterward blatantly told me he felt the same.

"I don't know how long I've been waiting to do that," I admitted.

"I've just been waiting for the time you looked comfortable around me," Camilo explained. "I didn't want to kiss you so soon. Otherwise, I would have admitted that I'm head over heels for you the second time I saw you."

I smiled. "That does not seem possible."

"It's completely possible, mi amor," Camilo replied.

The nickname made me blush. His eyes were sparkling when he looked at me.

"Mi nino bonito," I whispered, cupping his cheek and rubbing my thumb against him.

His blush was brighter this time. I couldn't help but giggle. I made him flustered. He moved closer to me so his body was flush against mine. He booped our noses together, this time making both of us laugh.

I couldn't believe how beautiful the night turned out when I went to bed that night.