2. A Talk With The Boss

-----

Seraphina rushed towards the department building, having gone home and changed her fit into something more formal. The clacking of her heels on the pavement was almost drowned out by the traffic on the road and the chatter of the people passing by. After all, it was 8am; peak rush time in Wellston.

The woman's gaze fell on some students run past her, one of them dragging the other along. They wore a blue jacket, under which only one of them wore a brown vest. Both donned a white shirt underneath, and dark blue jeans and a tie. It was pretty obvious where they were going.

Ah, they remind me of those days...

Remembering where she had to go, she brought herself out of her thoughts and ran towards the building. She looked at the time on her watch, noting it to be 8:14am.

Alright, I didn't use my ability at all today, so I should be able to make it before 8:15am and before it starts acting out again.

And just as her eyes glowed a bright cobalt blue, the world turned gray again, and she raced towards the building. She counted the seconds in her perspective on her fingers, so as to keep track of the amount of time she kept her ability on for.

5 seconds... 10 seconds....

She noticed small flashes of colour, easily missed by her when her ability had first started giving her trouble.

15 seconds...

The flashes grew in intensity and size, bit by bit. 

20 seconds... 25 now...

Seraphina could swear she just saw a bird fly by her.

... 31... 32 .... 34.... 35!!!

And just as she climbed up the stairs, her ability stopped, and the world had become colorful once more. Seraphina beamed with hope as she walked over to the entrance. 35 seconds. My ability finally lasted for more than 20 seconds!

She clicked the door open, and just as she entered the main reception, her watch displayed the time as 8:15am.

Right on time!

She smiled at her fellow officers as she ran to her office. She placed her bag neatly on her desk and sat down, sighing. Her ability had gotten better than before at least. She missed having all the time in the world to stop time, but beggars couldn't be choosers, especially in her situation. And ever since Leilah and Kayden had stopped taking her calls, she figured she was all alone in this dilemma. 

All of a sudden, a loud voice rang out in the room, almost scaring Seraphina out of her wits.

"Can Seraphina Aetas and her team please report to Conference Room Number 2, please? Thank you."

She sighed. The intercom announcements always got her.

She noticed the team was already up and out of their desks, so she quickly got up as well. Patting herself down, she joined Evie as they made their way out their office.

"Seraphina, what do you think they want to talk to us about?", Evie asked. "Probably something about the murder last week. We didn't have any important cases after that so far", she replied, and then stopped in her tracks. Before Evie could ask, she ran back to her desk. 

"Seraphina?!", she called, but Sera had already come back, now with a small notepad in her hand.

"If this is about UV-Ray's death, then I'd like to bring up all the clues the killer left us", she said. "I'm gonna try convince Brian that EMBER might not be gone for good!"