Chapter 2: The Guardian

"Get away from her!" I hear my father shout as he opens the curtain. The customer slips past and races out the door.

I glance over at him and he twists the top off of his walking stick, revealing a hidden dagger.

"You know it's not smart to bring a knife to a gun fight." The captain snickers.

"What do you want so bad as to threaten my daughter like this?" My father snaps back.

I feel the pistols shaft trace its way from my chin, down my neck and pressing into my chest. "You have something of great importance to me...Have you ever heard of the "Grimoire of Oceanus'?" I squirm and he wraps an arm around my shoulders, his grip firm.

"I don't know what you are referring to..." My fathers hands fall to his side and his face turns pale.

"Your expression tells me otherwise, mate."

I have read every book in this library front to back, Why have I never heard of this?

I watch my fathers gaze move from me, to Jack, and back to me again. He sighs and slides his dagger back into its sheath.

"Come." He says, sounding defeated.

Father shuffles behind the curtain and Jack puts his gun back into its holster as he pushes me along, arm still laying across my back. I glare in his direction, the stupid grin that crossed his face really pissed me off.

...

We enter my fathers workspace. I didn't com in here often, as he was usually with a client and I wouldn't dare interrupt. It was a small room, no more than 6 feet on either side. The walls were lined off with shelves upon shelves of dusty jars and vials containing everything from herbs to bones and other things that I could not identify. Mobiles of rocks and driftwood are suspended from the ceiling, twisting freely in the air.

My father opens up a drawer to reveal a chest, which he drops onto the small round table in the centre of the room with a loud thump.

"What is that?" I think aloud.

"I have been keeping this secret from you, but I think it is about time you learn." He reaches into the sleeve of his kaftan, pulling out a small key and opening the chest. "For generations your family has guarded this book. It was your mothers job...once she passed I took on the obligation. It was meant to be yours, but you were too young to take on the responsibility."

He turns the chest toward me and I pick up the book. I run my hands along the intricate filigree on its leather cover. It's stunning.

"Arn't you going to open it?" I feel Jacks breath on my neck as he looks over my shoulder. Way to ruin such a beautiful moment.

I lay the book gently onto the table, it felt as if it could crumble in my hands without proper care. I flip trough its pages, examining all of the hand written notes and elaborate sketches it contained. The pencil had faded with time.

"What information are you looking for?" My father scowls.

"I'm looking for this..." He reaches around me, flipping a few pages back.

"Amphitrite's Ring." I read the page. "Given to Amphitrite by Poseidon on their wedding day, this ring allows its wearer to control the sea, its tides and all of its creatures..." The sketch on this page was of a ring encrusted in mother of pearl with a large chunk of abalone shell in its centre. "I don't think it would suit you." I utter mockingly.

"Im not trying to make a fashion statement, love." He looks towards the sky, smiling as he daydreams. "Just imagine all of the magnificent treasures I could possess with power like that. I would be the most fearsome pirate to ever sail the seas."

He looks down and our eyes meet. "And you'll be there to enjoy it with me." He smirks.

"What are you on about!?" I take a step back in awe of his words.

"There is a part that you neglected to read." He points to a sentence in the book and reads it for all to hear.

"The ring is contained in a cave, which can only be accessed by the kin of Amphitrite herself." He puts his hands on his hips, looking pleased. "That means you."

"I refuse to go anywhere with you!" I spat.

"Perhaps that's what's best." My father intervened.

I turn toward him, struggling to speak. "W-what are you saying!"

He steps toward me, laying a loving hand on my shoulder. "This man has made it clear that he will not be leaving without this ring. Whatever is in this book will never be worth jeopardizing your life for." He turns toward Jack. "But you must promise that no harm will come to her, you need her alive after all."

Jack nods, rubbing his hands together in pure excitement. "You will have the time of your life, I can assure you!" He leans toward me once again. "A break from this mundane life is exactly what you need!"

I groan. "Fine, but I am going to lay down some rules."

He tips his head, his curiosity aroused.

"First being," I put both my hands on his chest, pushing him away from me. "personal space."

He cackles at my disgust.

...What the hell have I gotten into?