Chapter 4: Why Is The Rum Gone?

"You've started quite the ruckus, haven't you love?"

I turn to see Jack, rum in his hand and both women still in tow.

"Who is she?" One lady squawks, slapping Jack across his face.

"She's nobody... Just the key to my treasure." He says nonchalantly, his words beginning to slur.

"I bet you say that to all the women!" The other growls, striking Jack on the other side of his face. "Lets go."

The ladies leave arm in arm, giving us a disgusted look as they pass.

"I meant that literally! ...not figuratively...?" Jack hollers behind them.

"I didn't deserve that..." he turns to me, a hand on his cheek.

*SMACK.*

I hit him with all of my might, he loses his balance and almost falls over.

"What was that for!?" He snaps.

"That was for Gibbs! How dare you make him do the dirty work while you down a bottle of rum!"

"Two actually..." he swirls the bottle in his hand as he interrupts me. "This is number three."

"That is not something to brag about!" I hiss. "No wonder you don't have a crew! You treat everybody like pig shit!"

His eyes widen and he clutches his sternum as if my words had taken his breath away.

"Who hurt you?" He asks in a condescending tone.

I shoot him a nasty glare and stomp my way toward the pearl.

What is this feeling? This painful ache in my chest?

....

I lay against the rail of the ship, resting my head on my palms as I watch the waves. The sea sick feeling has finally begun to pass, although my fear of being eaten by the tides is still strong.

I can hear the crew's footsteps behind me as they scramble to keep the ship on its course. I hear some footsteps approach me.

"You doing alright, lass?" I hear Gibb's voice beside me.

"Have you ever considered a mutiny?" I sigh.

"Many-a times. I actually succeeded once..." he chuckles.

"Then why are you here?" I look at him, confused. "Is there really any good in him?"

"Plenty, he just doesn't like to show it."

"Really...?" I recall the evening we had watched the sun set together.

"I wouldn't be back here if there wasn't." He gave me a loving pat on the back, it made me smile.

We both look out at the water for a moment, taking in the crisp sea air.

Until...

"WHY IS THE RUM GONE!?"

We turn to see Jack on the quarter deck, shaking an empty bottle of rum into his mouth.

"WHY IS THE RUM ALWAYS GONE!?" He shouts, falling over and into the helm.

The whole ship begins to tip on its side, the crew shouts as they slide from port to starboard. I hold onto the railing like my life depends on it. Gibb's climbs across the railing, making his way toward Jack.

"Oops, my bad!" Jack attempts to stand up and falls in the other direction, grabbing at the wheel for support and tossing the ship and its crew in the other direction.

As the ship tips on its other side it almost keels over causing me to lose my grip and slide across the slimy deck. I scream as my back slams against the railing on the opposite side and I am thrown over the edge of the ship.

My biggest fear had come to pass.

As soon as my body hits the surface of the water it almost goes into shock at its bitter coolness. I try to scream for help but swallow the salt water. As my body begins to sink to the sea floor I can see the faint sunlight that shone through the surface begin to fade.

Starting at the tips of my fingers and toes I feel an excruciating pain... that same fiery burn I felt all those years ago. It travels up my limbs and feels as if I were being stabbed by a thousand blades. My lungs get tighter with every second, my eyes going in and out of darkness.

Am I... dying?

The pain in my legs is so severe that they almost feel numb. I can't swim but now i can't even try to attempt to kick myself to the surface.

I close my eyes and except my fate... nothing can be done for me anymore. This time I am not in the shallow waters of the beach on Port Royal.

This is where my pirate journey ends.

This is the start of an eternity in Davy Jones' locker.