Chapter 3: Tortuga

I stand on the edge of the dock watching the waves as they gently roll in, my stomach rolling in unison.

"Arn't you coming?" Jack shouts as he sits in a very underwhelming dinghy.

"I don't do water ok!" I clutch the old book in my arms. "And why are traveling in that piece of junk anyway! Where is your ship, Captain?"

"Don't you think the locals would notice a pirates ship at their dock?" He waves for me to come. "The pearl is with me first mate, we're to meet him and sail to Tortuga to round up a crew."

I sigh and step out over the dock. He extends a hand to me but my fear impedes me from unlocking the book from my clutch. I sit across form him and he pulls out a compass.

"To Tortuga!" He exclaims. I glance at the compass, it doesn't even point north. I groan as he begins to paddle, watching as Port Royal gradually shrinks in size, disappearing into a cloak of sea fog.

I close my eyes, desperately trying to take my focus off of the the waves that push against the side of the dinghy and its back and forth sway.

"Why is it that you don't like the sea? Seeings as you grew up on a port and all." Jack inquires.

"Why do you care?" I open my eyes once again.

"I'm just trying to make conversation, lass."

I finally loosen my grip on the book, laying it delicately on my lap. "One of my earliest memories I can remember was my father taking me to the beach." I trace the stitching of my dress as I recall. "He urged me to try going for a swim, and I did. As a child you are so eager to try new things that your mind doesn't way the consequences."

I look up and our eyes meet. "All I can remember after that was feeling the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. My skin felt like fire and my lungs like they were going to burst." I continued. To my surprise, he was listening quite intensely.

"Then I woke up on the beach, my father cradling me in his arms. I can remember the tears streaming down his chin so vividly. He promised to never take me near the ocean again."

"Ah..." He stopped rowing, laying the oars across his legs. "The sea can be daunting but once you get a taste of the adventure it brings then you will grow to love it. When it gets too tough to bear just close your eyes and pretend it's all a bad dream. That's how I get by."

Most of his words rang hollow but this time they were much softer. My heart slowed. He managed to calm my nerves, although just for a moment.

"Why did you stop rowing?" I question.

"Look." He points to the horizon, the sun had begun to set.

The view was crystal clear, I watched as stunning streaks of pink and orange bounced and sparkled along the oceans waves like a colourful cloud of fireworks. It was almost tranquil, nothing could be heard but the smooth sound of the water and the captains quiet breaths.

I felt like I was in a trance, like time had stopped completely. Until I was dragged back into reality by a sudden flash of green that filled the sky as the sun's peak had hit the horizon.

"What was that?" I break the silence as the last hint of light fades from the sky.

"I am all too familiar... but that's a story for another time." He chuckles. "You're quite lucky, many men go their whole life without seeing it." He sets fire to a lantern that illuminates the dinghy, It reveals a slight grin on his face.

I let a smile slip, I wonder what other magical moments I will experience on this escapade.

....

"Captain!"

I'm awoken by the sound of a man shouting. When did I fall to sleep?

"Gibbs!" Jack hollers back. "Give us a hand, would you!?"

The man known as 'Gibbs' heaves a rope ladder down over the side of the ships. As Jack hops onto the ladder I take a moment to absorb the sheer size of the ship. I have never been this close to one. Its tattered black sails flutter in the wind.

Jack holds onto the rungs with one hand, extending the other towards me. I instinctively pass him the book. He snickers and proceeds to climb. I take a deep breath and climb behind him, holding on like my life depends on it and fighting the urge to look down.

When I get to the top Gibbs grabs me by both arms and pulls me over the side and onto the deck. "Up you go." He mutters.

I stand up and try to walk but I fall to one side, he catches me and stands me upright.

"Are you alright lass?" He asks, concerned.

"Yeah... just kind of light headed." I lean on the mast, trying to compose myself.

He pulls a flask from the loop in his belt, popping its cork. "How about a bit of rum to calm your nerves?"

"No thank you. I don't drink." I politely decline his offer.

"You have not lived!" Jack interrupts.

"I'll be alright." I smile at Gibbs and he smiles back. He walks with jack to the wheel of the ship, chatting like old friends.

....

At this point I was a lot more comfortable with my sea legs, I was able to walk in a straight line at least. I sat on a crate cutting into an apple with the knife that my father had given me before I left. I kept it in a sheath strapped to my thigh. I take it and cut a large slit into the side of my dress for easy access before sliding it back into its holder. I don't know when I may need it in a pinch.

I feel the ship come to a halt. "Tortuga?" I ask as I see Gibbs walk up beside me.

"Aye." He replies.

The three of us disembark and the men lead me to a tavern. It's sign read 'The Faithful Bride'. As we enter I am taken aback by the nauseating stench of alcohol, cigar smoke and BO.

"Why are we here again?" I squeak, trying not to inhale the godawful scent.

Jack and Gibbs set off in their separate directions, completely ignoring my question. They had a small stage where a band was playing a jig. I sat at the bar to bide my time. I hear a thud as the man sitting next to me falls into his glass, rum trickling down onto my lap. Great, now I smell like I belong here. The bartender passes me the grimy rag he used to wipe the dishes and I dab at my skirt.

I turn around in my chair, I can see Gibbs giving some type of speech to a group of sad looking pirates. On the other side of the tavern I spot Jack, a woman on each arm and an empty bottle in his hand. I roll my eyes. I can see who really carries the ship.

I'm approached by a scraggly looking man. "Hello beautiful~" He says in a sing-song tone.

He smelt like a farm animal and looked as if water had not touched his face in months. I pretend not to hear him and he persists.

"What is your price?" He leans against the bar, entering my personal bubble.

"You could never afford it." I snap.

He pulls a bag from his pocket, tossing it into my hands. Gold coins fall onto my thighs. "I will make it well worth your time."

I retch at the thought. He attempts to put an arm around my waist and I grab onto it, twisting it forcibly behind his back. He screams in agony.

"I AM NOT A WHORE!" I yell as I push him to the floor.

The tavern falls silent and everyones eyes are on me.

Suddenly I'm surrounded by the sound of smashing glass, everyone breaks out into a fight. Pushing each other into tables and throwing food for no reason whatsoever. I crawl across the floor, avoiding all of the ruckus.

I finally make my way to the outside and take in a large breath of fresh air as I stand. I notice that I still had the bag of shillings in my hand, I shove them into my top... perhaps I will make a good pirate, I giggle.