~Chapter Eight~

It take a few seconds for me realization to sink in.

y/n: Belle...

Belle: Yes, y/n. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner.

y/n: You're... an elf too?

Belle: Yes. And no. I'm only half-elf. My mother is a hundred percent human. My father, on the other hand... I've never seen my father, to be honest. Whenever I'd ask mom, she would only fall silent. "He's an elf. That's all you need to know." It's what she would always say.

y/n: I'm sorry to hear that. Wait. Does Irene know about this?

Belle: Oh, she knew all along. She's known ever since we first met. Even if she doesn't like me much, she still kept it a secret... Anyway, I hope you understand why I kept it from you.

y/n: Are you kidding? I totally understand why you didn't tell me. And if I hadn't met Irene and Olivia, I might not have believed you.

Belle: I also hope... that you don't look at me any differently. I'm still Belle, right? Things are still the same.

y/n: No. Nothing has changed. I've known you for a long time, and nothing can change the way I see you. So what if you're an elf? You could be n alien from outer space, for all I care.

Belle reaches out and taps my shoulder.

Belle: I knew you'd understand. You're a good friend.

y/n: A good friend? No one has told me that before.

Belle: Well, I'm honored to be the first.

And then, she flashes a subtle smile. How rare it is to see her look so happy.

y/n: Do you want a hug? Just to commemorate the moment?

Belle: Wow. That's so cheesy! But what the heck. Come here!

We hug each other, cementing our friendship once and for all.

___

Morning comes. Perfect day for a swim. I heard out to the beach by myself. I find Irene sunbathing on the sand. She's wearing her undergarments!

Irene: Good morning, y/n.

y/n: Irene! I didn't see you there. You look... You look...

Irene: I look what? Cat got your tongue?

y/n: You look... ready for a swim.

Irene: Huh. Is that good or bad?

y/n: Good, I guess. We're on a beach, after all.

Irene: Hmmm. You've got a point.

(What is up with her? This doesn't feel like the Irene I know.)

y/n: Irene, is something bothering you? You seem a little different than usual. What's wrong?

Irene: Do you want to know what's wrong? I'll tell you what's wrong.

Irene stands up angrily.

Irene: I saw you last night with Belle. You were hugging each other.

y/n: Irene, why would that be an issue? Belle and I were just-

Irene: Save your explanation, y/n! I can't believe you broke my heart. You are my prince. You aren't supposed to look at other girls!

y/n: This is getting out of hand! Can you please stop overreacting? I am not your prince. And we are not getting married! You're more like a little sister to me than anything else.

Irene: Little sister? LITTLE SISTER? Argh! I despise you so much!

All of a sudden, Irene pushes me. I fall on my back, landing on the towel on whichshe was sunbathing.