Cupids Ledgers

"You believe in such a thing? Ledgers of cupids or some sort," Baber said.

"Magic," Hunt shrugged. "Anything's possible."

I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my days alone, Ben thought. If there is someone out there who is a decent match I'd certainly like to meet her.

"Akashic ledgers. There is a place in the library where they have books listing the matches sorted by the cupids themselves," Neiren said.

"Truly?" If Neiren vouched for these...cupids ledgers, how could it possibly be nonsense? "In our library?" Ben said, cocking an eyebrow.

Hunt replied, "No. Ours is a work in progress. But the library here in the founding village is much more extensive."

Keery grinned and nudged him again. "You're going, aren't you." It wasn't a question.

Ben sighed, feigning annoyance at her teasing.

"I'm going. Happy?"

They parted ways at the little coffee house on the corner of the Main Street's more prominent shops. Hunt hailed a handsome wizard in an apron outside the coffee house who smiled at his approach. Neiren departed for an appointment on The Hill with The Third. Keery promised to find him after she visited relatives in Golden Meadows though she wanted nothing more than to watch Ben comb through some dusty old tomes searching for his true love's name.

"You want to come along?" Ben cocked a brow. "To the library. Doesn't seem your speed."

Baber shrugged.

"The right book keeps a warlock occupied for a time."

As they made their way to the library, which was on the Mayor's estate grounds. Plenty of stares, scandalized looks, and scurrying abound just like on the Main Street, especially with Baber's scowling and largeness. An ordinary wizard of kin origin was a bit too much for the silving to stomach without crying dragon, let alone one of Baber's stature.

As one of the most prominent buildings in the village, the library bore some ostentation. Columns and grand windows and who only knew how many floors inside though it appeared to three from the outside. The front stairs were no joke for anyone climbing them either.

Crossing the polished marble and glass lobby, he nearly collided with a man standing in the archway leading into a stuffy, distinguished main library. Ben took a step back. To be fair, he wasn't entirely sure if the man had appeared from thin air in front of him or if he was looking where he was going since his nose was very literally buried in a book.

"Pardon," Ben said. Then he was surprised to see the wizard there for completely different reasons. The man was kin, for one thing. And he was reading for another, eyes just visible over the edge of the book scouring line after line.

"Welcome," he said though he was gesturing a white gloved hand at the door without removing his face from the book.

"You know how to read?"

"Yes," he said stiffly. He gestured around at the shelves and shelves of books. "Of course."

Ben noticed the oddest thing of them all. The kin wizard was dressed in green tails and a silver brocade waistcoat.

"Why do you wear their colors?"

Baber's lip hitched in disgust.

"The snakes probably just think watching over a place full of books is beneath them. Installed a well-trained monkey here to do it for them."

The wizard in green with his silver buttons and white gloves scoffed.

"Monkey? Your manners are certainly lacking. Like many of your kind."

"Your kind?" Ben repeated, feeling the first burn of anger again this morning and utterly confounded. "Aren't you also—"

"Ah, I see you've met Bookman Green—my brother. I am Bookman Red."

Another wizard entered the lobby from inside of the main library and bowed to Ben and Baber. Ben glanced back and forth between them. The two librarians were identical in every way. However, this wizard's scarlet tailcoat and gold brocade waistcoat was a bit of a relief.

"They aren't allowed in here," said Bookman Green.

Bookman Red rolled his eyes. "According to whom?" He straightened his coat. "I'll mind my side of the library and you mind your side of the library." He bid Ben and Baber, "Please follow me, gentlemen."

"We're looking for materials of some specificity," said Ben. "Erm, I've been calling them cupids' ledgers."

"Ah! Right this way then," said Bookman Red. "A form of Akashic record. Called Ledgers of The Cupids, or the Tomes of Cupid. And becoming quite popular among our people as they rebuild and settle down."

Baber scoffed at rebuild and settle down.

Bookman Red led them to a column of windows lined up closest to the windows in the far corner.

"Here we are."

"Oh," said Ben, staring at a loss. Volumes of all shapes sizes, textures, and colors overfilled the massive bookcases. Some looked new while others had certainly withstood the tests of time and the ravages of war, stained, fraying, and discolored or hunks hewn out of them covers missing, and scarred like battle-worn bucklers. Some were even chiseled on stone tablets.

The library fell into an unearthly quiet as he stared.

"You don't think Cupid could offer a bit more specificity?"

But when he turned to look, the librarian was mysteriously gone and so was Baber. Assuming the latter had lost interest and gone back to Pewter Pub for a drink, he sighed and looked back at the nearest bookcase.

There was only one book on the otherwise now empty shelves. Muttering to himself, he picked it up. Tiny bright blue flowers and petals embossed a rich brown leather cover as if scattered on a wind. The cover had no title but the spine read simply Miradey.

Dazed, eyes riveted upon the book, Ben carried it to the nearest table and sat down. He checked the name on the spine again, caressing it as though marveling over a hypnotizing treasure. The Shadow from last night. The knight who slew the grinder. A woman whose face he hadn't even seen. He thought, It couldn't be...

"I take it you found what you are looking for," said Bookman Red quite suddenly, startling Ben badly as he found him standing right behind him at the table. The ordinary quiet of the librarian's domain had returned. It seemed loud and harsh though he knew it wasn't.

"Sir, is Miradey a common name?" Ben said absently.

The librarian wore a small, satisfied smile, arms folded behind his back.

"Not in the slightest."