Tomorrow

In her bed, Miradey turned over and stared at the earthen ceiling veined in the roots of the trees and plants that grew in The Hillside. She threw an arm over her eyes, blocking out the morning light streaming through the window.

She was meeting with Benedict this morning for tea after a night of patrolling. She was more tired than usual but she had no intention of standing him up so she could rest. No matter what came with her body or her duties, life went on. She thought of the cupids ledger she had caught him "borrowing" from the library. But was it right for her to lead Benedict to believe they had future together when she knew what was coming? The days and nights in her world grew shorter and shorter. What could she promise him? What could she possibly give him?

She needed to make a decision.

After a few moments, Miradey rose and faced the day. She bathed and dressed in britches, boots, and tunic. She belted her waist, grabbed her bag, and tossed on her cloak. She rubbed some of Lady Doria's salve on her chest and smoked some of the dried miradey from her satchel.

She walked among her fellow citizens on Nyte Village's prominent Main Street in a kind of daze. So far The Third's remedies were containing and treating her illness. But what would happen when they didn't anymore? Miradey was afraid because she already knew the answer.

"Miradey."

She turned and saw Dragon Knight Joss heading towards her. He wore his scarlet cloak proudly, sword strapped to his back. He was handsome as always, his amber eyes reflecting the dragon living inside of him as he belonged to a class of Scarlet Knights who made pacts with dragons. The dragon's spirit lived inside of the witch and in exchange both witch and dragon gained each other's strengths.

"Where are you headed this early?"

"To tea with a friend. Were you on duty last night? I did not see you at Erst's."

"I was. I was patrolling the outer reaches."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Knight Joss. I'd better hurry. Or I shall be the one who is late this time." She turned to walk towards the market but Joss took her arm, halting her.

"Miradey, is something wrong? You seem...wane."

"I am well enough," she said, refusing to lie to him. It was true, she was well enough to be out of bed so far. But as the days came and went she could feel the curse bearing down on her. "Do not worry for my health, Joss. Now I must be going."

He let go of her. "If you should need anything, I am here. As a fellow Knight."

"My thanks," she said, sparing him a smile.

No one knew of the curse upon her though she knew several of the Knights had suspected the strange happenings at Ironhart Manor for a long time. It wasn't something she wanted to share with her associates. Not when there was no hope except managing her condition and even that was getting more and more difficult for even a great healer like The Third to do. It seemed to Miradey that she was beyond hope.

She faced that feeling of hopelessness by raising her chin and striding toward The Golden Saucer.

Ben glanced over the rim of his cup at Miraday. She sat across from him, reading of all things The Phoenix Star. She seemed like a completely different witch from the one he'd drank with, laughed with, and napped with in the night world last night. She seemed nothing like the woman he had held hands with, who'd said she would go to the library and read his cupids ledger.

"The thieves stealing from the Scarletlands," he said offhandedly. "What will become of them?"

"They will be tried under our law. Imprisoned for a time in Nywo but eventually set free after their means of stealing from us are dismantled and their...business associates are greatly discouraged from continuing to partner with them and engaging in an enterprise that takes food and resources out of the mouths of kin witches."

"I am certain The Third isn't pleased with the thieves' illegal activities." The Fourth, well, she was a great believer in the law and had written many of them.

"What is not offered freely to them, they simply take. Our brand of punishment is the least they deserve."

Miradey glanced up at Ben coolly, catching him disdainfully eyeing her newspaper.

"I read the paper cover to cover. Every day."

"Even if it's a bunch of rubbish? For example, what's printed in The Phoenix Star," he said.

"Know thy enemy. Rubbish and all."

"'New drake species discovered in black mountains'"

The article prominently featured the photo of a rotund white wizard possessed of bushy, white muttonchops.

Ben skimmed the words 'distinguished wizard is attempting to study these dangerous animals' when Miradey gave a frustrated growl.

"Once again, they haven't 'discovered' anything. Those creatures aren't dragons. Inventing boxes to label them in is pointless."

"Then what are they?"

"Monsters and, once upon a time, witches. Forged by a curse into what they are now. We call them metal-eaters. Grinders, on account of the sound it makes when turns metal to dust or creates its deadly spines."

"I have never seen such a creature before that night."

"It does not belong to nature."

"The book. Does it bother you? I shan't look upon it again if it makes you uncomfortable."

"I have nothing to hide."

"There's nothing inside you would rather me not know?"

"I guess you haven't gotten to that part yet," she muttered.

"Pardon." He had only managed to glance at the cupids ledger. What could she mean? Was there truly something inside the book that didn't want him to see?

"Nothing."

What had changed between the two of them, Ben didn't know.

"But about the books...perhaps we can—"

Miradey folded her paper and regarded him stoically now.

"I can't accept your suit, Ben. There are things you do not understand. Burdens I cannot ask you to carry."

He leaned forward, feeling a little angry. "Isn't it my choice? I can decide for myself what I wish to carry or not."

"Assata de Mura is your home. You should return to it. I'm going now." She stood and actually started for the door.

"And when will I see you again?"

She didn't stop walking, out the door, and onto the street. Ben was surprised to find that he had followed her.

"Have I not given answer to your query? You shouldn't look. Least not for me. I've taken a...permanent assignment and won't be returning to the village. Goodbye, Benedict Orion."

"Are you displeased with me?"

"No."

"Now that I've found you, I won't give up," he said. Ben was talking to her back as she walked away. He didn't stop. "Make no mistake. I'm a wizard who keeps his promises."

Never turning or stopping, she lifted her hand in farewell.

Little did he know that when he woke up the next morning the entire world would be changed.