Iron Drought

"She told you she came down from the mountains. You witnessed the creature chasing her as well?" As they crossed the foyer, Doria Draco was speaking to them over her shoulder again

Draco House, as Dragones House was also called, was all warm colors with scarlet and gold drapes tied away from the great windows and allowing the days watery but warm sunlight to shine in. Polished bright woods and dark woods, marble, and shining gold—all was as you would be expected of a lordly house and stronghold except grace, welcome, and homeliness radiated from the place despite the foreign antiquities, paintings and sepias of black folks and animal statues of the dark continent from elephants to dragons more fearsome-looking than the creature that had attacked them today.

"Yes, your Grace." My Lady and your Grace seemed appropriate for a women sorcerer of such a house as this.

A hoyden and a spitfire of a witch with a quick fist and a hard flying kick that would knock a stunning spell into your children's children. That's what Mrs Burch knew about The Third, and even then only through rumor. She'd seen some of that here today certainly but right now Doria Draco, while still most feared especially now that they were entrenched in the dragon's den, appeared decidedly ladylike even with her bare feet. Dressed far above the station of a mere African slave in warm white skirts embroidered delicately about the bodice and hems. Worn brown velvet and silk dark buff brocade robes loosely belted at her waist by braided cord flowed beautifully as she moved and easily carrying Miradey in her arms.

They entered a bright chamber on one of the upper floors where windows and shelves lined walls filled floor to ceiling in books. A massive desk covered in scholarly clutter sat on a dais before the central window and a small platform stood in the center of the room. Sorcerer Draco swiftly approached the latter and laid Miradey upon it.

"Ma, why are we in the library?" Malchrie whispered. The Third seemed to believe their story which was likely the reason they were still alive.

"The library of Dragones House was also my mother's healing sanctuary," replied Doria. "She always liked to be near her tomes and notes and journals in the event she needed their knowledge immediately. What did you do to relieve her, Mrs. Burch?"

Mrs Burch showed her the dwindling supply of herb, cup, mister, and pestle left in her bag and explained the treatment she had used.

"It didn't last, my Lady. I'm sorry. I did all I was able."

Sorcerer Draco instructed her servants. Mrs Burch noticed that they addressed Sorcerer Draco in the same manner she did. In soft, whispering winds bearing their master's instructions they disappeared. The servants reappeared just as quickly, robes billowing, bringing with them and placing large potted plants around the room.

"How extraordinary, my Lady. Why, those herbs are the largest I have ever seen!" Mrs Burch gaped, realizing what they were. Nothing like the little farthings that grew in her window box, the buds blossoming vibrant, lush, and blue.

"Our gardens were my mothers pride and peace. They are quite healthy and abundant," said The Third, waiting for the servants to finish their tasks while she examined Miradey. She pulled out a mid-length wand from a slender holster beneath her left arm. Little flowers and vines covered it and the vines looked real, growing from the base of the wand. The design was similar to her wooden frame glasses. She checked the soles of the child's scarred feet, making a pained noise at the sight of them, then her chest, back and palms.

"I didn't think of it then. But my son says she slew that beast, my Lady. The girl was covered in blood and innards not her own and she had this thing in her hand." She gestured to Morrie.

He gave the needle he had carried strapped to his back like a sword to Sorcerer Draco. It had been carefully wrapped in a thick cloth for their journey up The Hill. For some reason, Mrs Burch didn't want it in her house.