003. pork rind-muching freak

pork rind-munching freak / chapter three

IF THERE WAS ONE PERSON in the world that loved pork rinds more than their own family, it was Kai Parker. In the last word he lived in, there was an abundance of pork rinds to choose from, keeping in mind he was the only one there — at least for the most part.

But in this new world he had been living in for almost the same amount as the girl, he soon realized that something wasn't right. Not just because the pork rinds would sell out in every store but for other reasons. Yes, the world was a clone of his past one, but he was living in the present again, and with actual living people he could feed on.

The question was why and how that was possible when the supernatural didn't exist there. At least that's what Kai thought until he came across the girl.

She was the key to all of his questions.

"Pork rinds?" Kai offered the smelly bag to Nabila, whose distasteful head shake was enough for him to pull them away. "Wow, you really are a monster."

"Is this your place?" Nabila asked as she gave herself a tour around. She was thrown off when he took her by a upscale neighborhood, and even more when he opened the door to one of the biggest mansions in Encino Hills. She tried not to be judgy, but he barely looked like he was making a living with the clothes he was wearing, let alone afford a house that big.

"Something like that." He replied with half his mouth full. "Don't ask for the deets."

"Noted."

"So, Nabila," He began once he finished munching on the bag.

"How did you-"

"Let's just say a little birdie told me." He smiled. Something about his smile scared her.

"Let's just say I kill that 'little birdie' if you don't tell me." She returned his vibe, not knowing how he would react.

"Oh, wow. You really are Niklaus' daughter." He chuckled, glancing over at Nabila with an intimidating look.

"What-"

"Don't look so surprised. You're practically his twin." He cut in again, as he got up the fancy couch to grab another bag of pork rinds.

"I have to go back home. They're probably sick worried. Can you take me?"

"Can I take you?" He laughed at her question as if it were a joke. "Haven't you realized there is no home? We're stuck in this lame world, that apparently doesn't have enough pork rinds."