Chapter Four ☽︎ Haunt Me

"The best memory you ever had is when you were falling in love."
-- Unknown

H U D S O N

THEN

"YOU'RE PLAYING EXTRA time huh?" Coach Winslow asks me as I skate around the rink, sweat dripping from my chin and tiredness filling my bones.

"Not for extra credit I promise," I raise my hand and my hockey stick in mock surrender. "But for real bro, I just wanna play,"

"Expecting some chick?" He raises a brow at me and I laugh. Coach Winslow has always been like a fatherly figure to me ever since I was a kid. Apart from Mom following me to the rink and all, he has also been there for every new step of my life. At first I thought he liked my mom and I hated him for that, but it turns out he was more interested in me and my future hockey career and that felt pretty cool, like I was one step away from achieving my dreams making it to the pros.

"What? No, no, you know me Coach, fuck 'em and wave 'em," I grin at him.

"I don't care what you do, just make sure no one sees you and you lock up this place when you're done impressing your girl," He winks.

"Yeah, yeah, I told her to meet me here,"

"That's weird, you don't invite girls on one on one sessions, except it's your bedroom businesses," he folds his arms.

"She's pretty cute and shy and all that okay, and that turns me on," What the fuck I'm I telling him?

"Okay, I'm done hearing what turns you on," he raises his hands as he turns around and leaves.

"Hey Coach," I call for him and he stops. "Women love athletes right? You know all that huge arms and ability to get it on right?" I cock my head to the side.

"Jesus, Lee," He chokes on a cough. "I'm done with this conversation, call your mom, okay, and lock up this place," and with that he walks away.

"You're insane,"

You have no idea how, baby.

I skate back, forth and around the rink. There's a feeling I get whenever I'm here, alone. It's like freedom, like a fresh feeling of euphoria, it's like I'm in my own world and I can do whatever I want. Hockey is much more than a contact and violent sport, it's a fresh rush of insane adrenaline, you get what you want how you want it.

The digital clock on my phone screen reads, 8:28pm. I watch the entrance for any sign of her, but I don't see anyone.

I mess around with the puck until it reads, 8:59. And then my shoulders slump in defeat. What the fuck was I expecting? She barely knows me, and moreso if she does, she'd definitely stay far away.

"Anyone here?" I hear a small sweet voice around the entrance as I skate towards the locker rooms. I skate backwards instantly.

"I know I'm not supposed to be-- oh god what I'm I saying?"

"Hey Princess," I say as she turns to face me. And I see her clearly. Lush pink lips and green-blue eyes. Long dark hair and slender arms.

"Um.....you know, this is stupid, I'm going back to the dorms," she rambles and then she begins to back out.

"Kimmie," I call and she freezes in her steps.

"Don't call me that," she murmurs.

"Because you like it," I ask as I inch closer to her.

"You're crazy, this is crazy," she mutters. "What I'm I doing here?"

"Yeah, Princess what are you doing here?" I smirk at her.